Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

What do you think of this?

I am just fascinated by breeding betta fish. I did a few spawns last summer just to try it out. I feel they were successful in that I have a feel for the process. I just ordered two more pairs after giving a lot of thought to my long term goals. I actually plan on using pretty much every single female I can produce. Males will be heavily culled. Either given away, fed to Oscar, or any really nice ones will be kept on as breeders. Betta breeders are a fairly small group of people relatively speaking. I had to ask for help picking my pairs. I still do. I am a member of the IBC and my goals are to make fish that adhere to IBC standards. I'd love to make it super easy for new breeders to get their feet wet with good fish.

I was thinking about starting a junior breeders program where someone could obtain a nicely matched pair free from any major flaws for just the cost of shipping. Of course these fish would not be show quality but they wouldn't be worthless either. If my spawns go well I will start giving away free pairs.

Thoughts?
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #2 
trilobite

I think thats a nice idea. A lot of people have trouble finding or identifying decent starting stock, especially newbies. It would also encourage them to stay in the hobby because they arent producing mutts but nice fish as result of their hard work breeding and raising the fry.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #3 
Myates

IBC offers that exact same program to new breeders.. members will send a pair for free to another member who is starting to breed.

So basically, you are breeding just to breed, kill most of the ones you don't want to breed and then breed the females over and over? You realize you can end up with hundreds of females and you plan to breed them all? Why not just breed for the love of it, find homes for them when they grow up and breed only the ones you really love rather than breed thousands of babies just to kill to keep a male or two for breeding purposes?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

+1

With your plan, you could potentially be culling half a spawn for no apparent reason... You also can't just breed every female you have, you need goals and a way to work forward. If you breed every female you ever produce you will end up with tons of fish of varying quality. Select and breed the best and only the best.

I also am kind of appalled that you would kill so many males. Plenty of people would like them, if you start with good quality fish you will be able to sell them quick if you advertise enough.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

But you have to be a member right? Seems like you could just take the $20 and put that towards a nice pair. I don't see why someone would want to be a member unless they tried it out and liked it. That's usually why one becomes a member of something. I wouldn't require anyone to be a member of anything. I would just advertise on the betta sites. You know, the sites where people ask if they should breed their Wal-Mart veiltails...

Am I breeding females just to breed over and over? Um, no, lol. I am planning to specialize in sororities. I have no intention of breeding all the females I spawn. 99% of them will never be bred. Only the exceptionally nice ones. Unfortunately for the males, it is what it is. The best will be kept for breeding stock. The very nice ones will be offered for sale or free to good homes. Anything that can't find a home will become dinner. Oscar needs to eat too. IMO it's no more or less unethical to feed him betta, comets or guppies...

I'm also not breeding just to create females. The females are simply a by-product of the small number of spawns I'll do at a time while working towards my goal. I do have an actual goal.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #6 
Ilikebutterflies

Quote:
Either given away, fed to Oscar, or any really nice ones will be kept on as breeders

Um...you missed the part about me giving the extra males away.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You said you planned on using every female you produce, which comes across as though you are planning to breed every female you produce.

The 20$ starting fee is a lot less then what it will cost you to import a high quality pair.

When you become a breeder of anything, you have to accept responsability for the living things you produce. Killing fish because they don't have a home seems unethical to me, that's what jars are for. ;)

The Oscar can eat pellet food lol.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

Perception...I suppose. You could have asked.
Quote:
Killing fish because they don't have a home seems unethical to me, that's what jars are for.
Then that would make all culling unethical in your opinion right? I don't think too many betta breeders would support your opinion. Killing one is the same as killing 1,000. The effects are not quantitative. You are absolutely correct in that becoming a breeder makes me responsible for every fish I breed. That's why there is a plan for every fish I breed.

I also wouldn't import a high quality pair for my first spawning attempts. That's too much money to pay out to start in a hobby that requires a good bit of skill and knowledge. To expect that from someone that is just toying with the idea of raising fish as a hobby is not realistic. Basically, you are saying that no domestically bred/raised fish are worth breeding.

Personally, I always try to source my fish from the US. If I can't locate what I want then I'm left with no choice other than to import.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #9 
trilobite

I dont think one should have to be an IBC member if they want to breed nice fish.
Lol missed the part about the killing of all unwanted ones....
But some might consider the ones that get fed to the oscar as a no more than constant supply of feeders. Feeders have to be bred by someone too, I think its no worse than breeding comets as feeders or even locusts.

What I got from the idea was they want to breed nice fish to give to beginners and newbies as starting stock to get into the hobby. That way they arent going to be breeding mutts and getting discouraged and quit when their fish turn out ugly.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #10 
Vickytoria3112

I thought BettaFish.com was for the love of Bettas. Not using them as feeder fish.

You can do what you want with your Bettas but I think it's a little cruel in my opinion.
Vickytoria3112 is offline   Reply With Quote