Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #31 
Myates

Thanks! Should see him when he is all flared out :) He is 3.5 months there, now he's roughly 4.5 months.. already had spawned once and he's in the breeding tank this minute with another female who is getting pretty close to accepting him.. she spent half the night jumping on top of the IAL leaf and frogbit to hide lol.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #32 
dramaqueen
Banned

When she sees how handsome he is all flared out she'll accept him. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #33 
DoctorWhoLuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickytoria3112 View Post
The title asks, "What do you think of this?"
I thought she was asking about her idea of sending breeding pairs to new breeders. (which sounds great :)

I'm going to be breeding my pair within the next week or so and am not looking forward to culling, so I'm trying the leave dad with fry method, so that he can cull for me (may not go so well, since it's his first breeding too). I hate thought of killing any of my current fish, just because they're deformed (and a few are), I love Oscars and think they're great and all, but I wouldn't want to cull by feeding my bettas to larger fish (I think that's a terrifying way to go) :( But sometimes culling needs to be done :(
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #34 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

<<I thought she was asking about her idea of sending breeding pairs to new breeders. (which sounds great :) >>

That's the way I read it, too.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #35 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

There is nothing saying you have to cull a lot. Personally I am most comfortable with not culling unless they are badly deformed/weak/have a life altering condition. If you get a very large spawn, you can gently remove eggs out of the nest. If it is done while you are removing the female (so you only have to disrupt him once) it is not very cruel at all, they are not even developed yet. Plus, there are plenty of great people on this forum who would more than likely be willing to take in a "pet" fish with a bent spine or something. Culling because they turned out to be male sort of disgusts me.

Yea, people argue that oscars are natural... Personally I don't think it would be very pleasant at all.

I read the original post as a general "what do you think of my plan".
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #36 
Ilikebutterflies

Quote:
If you get a very large spawn, you can gently remove eggs out of the nest
I do this. I don't want the logistics issue of caring for 200+ fry from one spawn. It's too hard for me to choose between 200+. I always whittle my spawns down to less that 100 roughly eyeballing it.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 06-26-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote