Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #1 
deforestfoley117

Fin rot or infection?

Hey there, I've had my fish Mahak for a week now. He was doing fine, making a buttload of bubble nests and playing with the bubbles from the baffled filter outtake but today I noticed that he has a tear in his fine about 1/3 length of his back fin. This just happened today as this morning he usually is swimming on the side of the tank next to the bed to greet me in the morning and I didn't see this tear.
I have seen him play near the filter and in the old 1 gallon mini bow tank he would tempt fate by putting his fins near it but not with this one. He only goes near it to play with the outtake flow.
My boyfriend has assured me that it will probably heal on its own and I want to believe him but I'm a huge worry wort. The small thread that is torn is brown, contrasted against the lightish blue and red on him and it just doesn't look very good. It may be normal as I have never seen a tear in a betta before.
And he's been relaxing on the bottom of the tank more than before. He only does this for a few seconds to a couple of minutes.
One more thing is that he doesn't seem interested in his bubble nest anymore which has been my go-to for his happiness.
If anyone has any experience with this please let me know what it sounds like. I am just so worried about this guy. Thank you very much for the love and advice on medications or whatnot :)
deforestfoley117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #2 
deforestfoley117

It's not the best and you can't see the brown in it but maybe someone can also tell me if the paleness of the tips of his tail are alright?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Well, the paleness looks clear which indicates new growth, so that is good. The tear will heal on it's own if you keep the water clean and warm for him. You can add aquarium salt designed for freshwater fish in to help him along. Follow the directions exactly, and don't use it for more than 14 days.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #4 
deforestfoley117

Thank you for the advice. I was wondering if you have ever heard of a fish diving up and down the walls of the tank? At first I thought he was playing but I just want to make sure he isn't trying to attack his reflection.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #5 
sainthogan

He could be trying to attack his reflection, that's actually quite common. If you keep his lights on, and the room lights on, he'll see his reflection. Also if you turn his lights off, and the room lights on, he'll see his reflection. Some people have had luck by putting non-reflective paper along the back of the tank and that seems to help. If he's flaring and posturing, he's seeing his reflection. If not, he's just "glass surfing" as most of us on here call what he's doing and he's just entertaining himself.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

Do you have any sharp objects in his tank that he could damage his fins?
How big is his tank?
How much and how often you doing water changes?
Make sure you also rinse/swish the filter in the tank water or dechlorinated water.

babble nest is just natural instinct that doesn't mean he is healthy or sick.
Is he acting healthy? I agree with sainthogan just do extra water changes and see how he is doing. If he is resting more frequently on the bottom then before , if his behavior changed , getting lethargic, hanging on the top or laying on the bottom, refusing to eat do aquarium salt treatment. I didn't see any fin rot on the picture though.
Dark or discolored edges that are ''smudged'' is fin rot. Clear/translucent fins usually -new regrowth.
Give us update so we can decide if you need to treat him with salt.

Aquarium salt you need to pre mix first. Shake it very well make sure it dissolved(not salt crystals left). If you add salt directly to the tank you can burn him.I would use 3tsp /gall with daily 100% water changes. You can treat him in the hospital tank that you have (1 gall) so it easier to change the water.
If your tank is cycled you can do 50% daily water changes in his cycled tank.

Do you know how to acclimate betta to the new water when you do full water change? It very important so you don't shock him with drastic temperature change.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

For a fin tear I would recommend clean water with a little aquarium salt and some Stresscoat.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Hey how is you guy doing ? Just saw your other thread sorry for your baby betta. I just want to mention whenever you have 1-2.5 gall tank without a filter you need to do 2-50% and 1-full water change a week. And i am not sure if you need acclimation instruction but i will just post them for you. Check my post #26
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=158401&page=3

Here is the link about water changes

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #9 
deforestfoley117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Hey how is you guy doing ? Just saw your other thread sorry for your baby betta. I just want to mention whenever you have 1-2.5 gall tank without a filter you need to do 2-50% and 1-full water change a week. And i am not sure if you need acclimation instruction but i will just post them for you. Check my post #26
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=158401&page=3

Here is the link about water changes

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Thank you very much for the advice and condolences.
Mahak however is healing very nicely. I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, I hadn't gotten any notifications, lol.
All I need to do for my guy is get him some more things to play with, a floating log and some more plants. :)
Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

Oh good i am glad that Mahak is healing . Just like dramaqueen said if it just a tear you can just keep him in super clean water with stress coat, may be even do more frequent water changes, it will help. The salt is always helpful if you think it beginning of the fin rot.
Just also don't know if any one told to you , or if you already know ,make sure you disinfect the tank , and everything in the tank after baby betta if you going to put another fish in there. Let me know if you need disinfection instructions. I have a very good link about that .
And i also like to recommend , if you ever bring new fish or even live plant always quarintine it first before you put it in the tank. Even if your fish by itself in the tank you can just keep it without decor. and gravel and make sure it health. You don't want to end up disinfecting everything again, and some bettas can show the symptoms of the sickness later on.

And about notifications you probably need to update your Edit options. Just click on your private messages and on the left side of the screen you will see your control panel go to Edit options :)

Tags
fin rot, fin tear, lathargic, tear, velvet