Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #1 
Janan

Female betta introduction

Hello,

I bought my second female about two weeks ago and have had her in a separate box, but floating in the 10 gallon tank to get familiar with the other tank mates and they get used to her. I was planning to keep her separate until I got more females and introduce them all at once, but my curiosity got the best of me and after I acclimated her to the water, I released her.

I've attached a video clip for you to see. The new female is Sapphire, the sapphire blue crown tail. Blessing is the Blue Mustard Dragon female. Sapphire is turning out to be the aggressive one, in spite of her small size and youth.

My question is, how much is too much chasing? Do I have enough hiding places? I've bought quite a bit of plants, but maybe not enough tall ones?

Should I take Sapphire out and wait until I get the rest of my females? I plan on rehoming the platys and keeping the cory cats. I have two female bettas right now and plan on at least three more.

Oh, and btw, don't get too distracted by the mile-long poop hanging onto one of the platys. She is going for a Guinness World Record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8p_9sxsT69s
Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #2 
10asartin

I can't view the video. It says it is private.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #3 
Janan

Try now.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I can see it and you need to separate them right now. You should never, and I mean never, have just two females in with each other. Even when starting a sorority you need to introduce 6 or more all at once. That blue one with the yellow fins is going to end up severely injured and possibly die if you let that continue.

Sorry to be blunt >.< but yes, that is way to much chasing, you should never see that much. It would also benefit if you had more plants in there to inhibit the chasing. If I ever get my videos to work I'll show you how a sorority should look even after introducing a new female.

So yes, tall plants and floating ones are your best bet. I love my floating Water Sprite, best plant ever because they sleep in it as well. Blocks some light, but the plants underneath do fine. It also inhibits chasing and nipping as well.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #5 
Janan

I took Sapphire out as soon as I saw this post. By this morning, the tables had turned and Blessing was chasing Sapphire, but that is just more confirmation that you are right. The stress was too much.

I've ordered some more females (5) and when they come in and have been quarantined, I'll introduce them all at once. I'll also introduce some floating Water Sprite, etc.

Thanks for the response, Lilnaugrim.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very welcome! I'm glad you got them in time. Sorry if I freaked you out or anything, I just didn't want you to lose anyone! Even with 3 or 4 females the stress can be too much, that's why it's recommended to use something no less than 10 gallons so that you can have 6-8 females in there comfortable it makes it easier for the fish keeper and makes the fish more comfortable as well, besides, it means you can get more girls! haha

That's good then, 7 is a great start!

Even if you have to keep Blessing and Sapphire in cups for now until the new girls arrive and are ready to be introduced, that's fine! I actually use all my left over Petco/Petsmart cups to QT new girls in my sorority now. This way, not only do they get every day or every other day water changes but they also get to get used to the older girls's presence in the tank and are a little more calm when they come out ^_^
Old 06-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #7 
Janan

Would you suggest I take Blessing out of the 10 gallon tank and put her in a cup, too? She has happily been her tank mates with no issues at all. However, if it would be better for her to be reintroduced the same time all of the other girls, that's fine.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

She can be in there for now, it won't affect her when you get the new ones. When introducing them all, take her out and rearrange some things or add something new to the tank, it will confuse her and she won't have a "territory" anymore which means she won't be guarding anything till the death. But you can also take her out as well if you think it might make it easier to deal with
Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #9 
AltheaGlyndwr

I am so glad that I've seen this post. After my tank is finished cycling and within about the last 2 weeks leading up until it's done I will be getting some girls to add to the two I already have in the 10 gal. I will definitely do my best to find at least 4 more girls to join them. Is ther Water Sprite alive? And what is the mainenance for such a plant? I don't really want to have to worry about caring for real plants on top of the girls but if it will be relatively simple and not grow outrageously it would be great to know what the best/easiest to care for are. And now I know that as long as I rearrange stuff in the 10 gal that I can leave Mystique in there the whole time. :)
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #10 
Janan

The girls I ordered will be here next week, so I have time to get some more plants and find a new home for the platys. Only, now I have more platys to place because suddenly there are babies everywhere. Blessing is having a ball chasing them all over the place. No telling how many she has managed to gobble up.