Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #1 
AltheaGlyndwr

Important question about baby betta and cycles

I was all set to put my male in my 5 gal after I started cycling it but then my mom suggested putting my girl and my almost 7 week old baby ( who I assume is almost 7 weeks and I just got a couple days ago which I'm pretty sure is a girl) in the 5 gal and dividing it for them so that I only had two tanks to clean and work with. Now the tank isn't cycled yet and I was wondering if I should do the fish in cycle (which I was going to do really carefully with the boy anyway) with Mystique by herself on one side? Or could I/should I put both Mystique and the female young one in together for the cycle?

I don't want ammonia spikes or any spikes that I don't immediately catch to harm the baby who is more sensitive. I'm going to go out and get the stuff to make the divider today and I just wanted to know for sure whether or not to keep the baby in her 1 gal while the 5 gal is cycling with my adult female divided or is I should keep them both in the 5 gal while it is cycling. Thanks!

(if it happens that the baby ends up being male I will switch Mystique out for Mayim so that both boys are in the 5 gal. Either way, the baby's true gender will be the deciding facter as to who "permanently" goes in there. And either way one of the adults will be housed in my 2.5 gal for now, currently Mystique is in that one. But Mayim will go into the 2.5 instead of his 1 gal hosp that he's been in while I've been moving. and the other will be with the baby in the 5 gal divided.)
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #2 
AltheaGlyndwr

Okay so scratch the 5 gallon tank. I just went to clean it out and I found out that the bottom is cracked badly :/

Tha 10 gals in my area are cheaper (in a kit even!) that getting a new 5 gallon lone tank so I'm gonng go and get one of those and start the cycle. I will also be getting the stuff to make a divider until I get more hiding places and silk plants and the right amount of girls and I guess I'll be starting my sorority like... in a bit over a month. Kinda excited now and totally didn't expect this to happen but hey, that's you know, cool. It gives me time to find and be kinda "picky" on the females I choose and I can quarintine them and make sure they are healthy...

But I still do need to know if baby bettas should go through a cycle or if it is better to keep them away from the spikes and only introduce to entireyl cycled aquariums... Please?
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote