Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #1 
agrogan

Exclamation Did i do it right?

Ok so i just got all this stuff in the mail that i order. I just want to make sure i got every thing and it is all i need i am going to be getting the betta later.

TANK: https://secure.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?SKU=1277855

PLANTS 2: https://secure.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?SKU=1285360

MAIN DECOR: https://secure.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?SKU=1369580

ROCKS: https://secure.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?SKU=1428128

HEATER: https://secure.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?SKU=1247336
agrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #2 
hopeful fish

Tank: good. Make sure that the filter is not too strong though, and be ready to buffer it if it is. You can simply stick an extra filter sponge in front of the output, or use a cut up water bottle as a buffer for the current.

Plants: yay!! make sure the plant is actually silk, like the description says.

Main decor: Make sure to run your hands over it and feel for sharp points. If you feel any, sand them off. Other than that, yay!

Rocks: White sand may be difficult to keep pretty, but is also a yay! unless you see your betta trying to eat it. Also, be sure to either poke it with a fork/shishkabob stick every week or two to make sure that anaerobic gasses do not build up. You can also turn off your filter and stir it with your hand. When cleaning, simply vacuum over the surface, because sand will go right up the siphon with the water.

Heater: Because it is not adjustable, be sure to but a thermometer. You can get the really simple suction cup ones that cost $2, and they can save a fishes' life.

Also, do you have water conditioner? What are you planning to feed?

Last edited by hopeful fish; 06-21-2013 at 05:36 PM.
hopeful fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #3 
sainthogan

I agree with everything the pp said, but I want to add that you need to get an in tank thermometer, not one that goes on the outside. It's much more accurate that way, especially since your tank is acrylic and not glass. I have an in tank thermometer and a stick on one side by side, and right now the outside one says 71, and the in tank one says 76 - which is where I want it to be. If I was relying on the outside one, I'd think my girl was freezing and crank up my heater possibly frying her.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #4 
agrogan

Thanks for the replies guys and yes i plan on feed blood worms every other day and every day betta flakes and i have water conditioner
Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #5 
agrogan

thanks and i have conditioner and i plan on feeding flakes every day and blood worms when ever
Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #6 
agrogan

yes i have a thermometer for the inside of the tank
Old 06-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #7 
hopeful fish

Feeding flakes and bloodworms isn't the best diet. I am guessing that you are talking freeze-dried blood worms? They are a good treat, but should not be used as a staple because they can cause bloating and do not have all the nutrients. You should feed them as a supplement. Did you say you are feeding bloodworms every other day?

I recommend using some kind of pellet made for bettas as a staple. New Life Spectrum (NLS) makes good betta pellets, as does Omega One.

Also, not many bettas like flakes, and mostly only eat them when they have nothing else. Pellets ever day should be used instead of flakes every day.

You should also feed every day, and have a "fasting" day once a week. like, feed monday through saturday and then not feed sunday.
hopeful fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #8 
sainthogan

My male won't have anything to do with flakes or freeze-dried bloodworms. It's pellets or nothing for him, and yes, he would rather starve than eat those.
My female on the other hand, was a flake lover, but they were causing bloating problems and a dirty tank (flakes can be VERY messy), so it took me a while to find a pellet she likes.
After having done both flakes and pellets, I highly recommend pellets, there is much less mess. Flakes get soggy and break apart and dirty up the water very quickly and it's very hard to get out all of the little pieces they don't eat. Uneaten food rots very quickly and can turn just changed, clean water toxic very fast.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #9 
agrogan

im so happy got dan today he is a beatiful betta :))) he looks really happy he is swiming in all the nooks and craines

Tags
betta, derp, inside, myy, tank