Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #1 
aecraig

Changing 38% every day:: too much?

I'm in the process of cycling a 2.6 gallon tank. Before I got the water test kit, I was changing 1 gallon (38%) twice a week. Now, that I'm testing the water the ammonia is always .25 ppm each day when I check it. So I've been changing 1 gallon each day. Is this too much changing? The sticky here says to change water twice a week for a tank my size .. of course I'm not doing 50% so maybe that is the difference.
My reasoning for that is that I only have an old one gallon tank to put the water in and a one gallon water jug to fill up for new water so that's just easiest for measurement purposes. Maybe I should start doing the full 50% though.
aecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

I am assuming that you are cycling with a fish - there is no amount that is too much or too often. You should make your best effort to keep the ammonia concentration as low as possible to minimize the effects of ammonia poisoning on your fish.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #3 
Stone

have you tested your water form out of the tap?
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #4 
aecraig

hmm .. no I haven't. Should I? What do I do if my tap has ammonia?
aecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #5 
Iorek

I would like the add few things about cycling small tanks

Which filter are you using? I suggest you to use sponge filter to support cycling.

Do you have live plants? Aquatic plants help a lot on cycling, especially lemna minor and bambuus are my fav ones.

Also, why you would like to cycle a small tank? Changing water twice a week one %50 and one %100 is easy in that tank? It would be healtier as well because, in small tanks, cycle can be corrupted and end is a horrible way

More experienced folks will help you more :)
Iorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

I'm sure they want their tank to be cycled so that their fish is not constantly in jeopardy of dying should a water change not be done. What is healthiest for the tank is for it to be cycled. A close second would be doing daily massive water changes.

I see this repeated ad nauseum - perhaps you can answer this since you are the most recent person to say it. Please explain why you think a small tanks cycle is so fragile.

Last edited by jaysee; 06-22-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #7 
Iorek

because it difficult to establish it in small tanks and it can crashed any time which will compromised betta health.
Iorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:16 AM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorek View Post
because it difficult to establish it in small tanks and it can crashed any time which will compromised betta health.
"It is because it is" is not an explanation of why what or how. Why do you think it's difficult to establish a cycle in a small tank? What about the tank being small makes it difficult? How does a cycle just up and crash one day?

You say it can crash at any time, like its a ticking time bomb or something. Not something that i agree with, but ill roll with it. so let's just say something does happen to the cycle. Where does that leave you? With an uncycled tank, which is different than the uncycled tank of people who "choose not to cycle" in what ways?

Cycled tanks can have mini-cycles, which are incidents where the bacteria colony is overloaded (or compromised in some manner) and so there is an excess of ammonia in the water while the bacteria colony plays catch up. Generally, mini cycles fix themselves within a few days. So, even if someone who had a mini cycle were totally unaware of it, the problem would no longer be a problem by the time someone who "doesn't cycle" would be doing the aforementioned scheduled water change.

Lastly, the possibility of something happening at some unknown future time is not a reason not to so something. That's like saying "you can get in a car accident at any time, so don't drive".

Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I am assuming that you are cycling with a fish - there is no amount that is too much or too often. You should make your best effort to keep the ammonia concentration as low as possible to minimize the effects of ammonia poisoning on your fish.

I thought if you make too big of a water change it can mess with the cycling process or an established cycle. Is that not true?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

As the bacteria mainly live on surfaces and very few live in water, it is not true.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote