Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
As the bacteria mainly live on surfaces and very few live in water, it is not true.
Nice! Good to know!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #12 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I thought if you make too big of a water change it can mess with the cycling process or an established cycle. Is that not true?
No that is not true. Water changes have no bearing on the cycle - the bacteria lives on the surfaces in the tank and filter, not in the water itself. You can change as much water as you wish, so long as the chemistry isn't too different.

While you are in the process of a fishless cycle, water changes are not as important. The bacteria can grow in ammonia concentrations that are lethal for fish. During a fishless cycle there is a time when a water change may be needed, and that's after the ammonia has been converted to nitrite. If the nitrite concentration is too high, it will cause the cycle process to stall.

During a fish in cycle, the goal should be to keep the ammonia level as low as possible so that the fish is not poisoned, so large frequent water changes are needed.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
No that is not true. Water changes have no bearing on the cycle - the bacteria lives on the surfaces in the tank and filter, not in the water itself. You can change as much water as you wish, so long as the chemistry isn't too different.

While you are in the process of a fishless cycle, water changes are not as important. The bacteria can grow in ammonia concentrations that are lethal for fish. During a fishless cycle there is a time when a water change may be needed, and that's after the ammonia has been converted to nitrite. If the nitrite concentration is too high, it will cause the cycle process to stall.

During a fish in cycle, the goal should be to keep the ammonia level as low as possible so that the fish is not poisoned, so large frequent water changes are needed.
Thank you :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

To directly answer aecraig: Yes. Just do that water change whenever the ammonia rises to 0.25ppm. Same deal when you get nitrite.

Prime (by Seachem) water conditioner detoxifies ammonia for two days. Use 2 drops/gal (tank size) with every water change. With a smaller tank, lots of live plants help ensure water quality.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #15 
jaysee
Reference Team

I remember reading on their website it's only for 24 hours.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #16 
NozzALa

That is a very oddly specific percentage.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #17 
aecraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzALa View Post
That is a very oddly specific percentage.
Haha I know, it's because I take out 1 gallon out of 2.6 gallons. It comes out to roughly 38%.
aecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #18 
aecraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
To directly answer aecraig: Yes. Just do that water change whenever the ammonia rises to 0.25ppm. Same deal when you get nitrite.

Prime (by Seachem) water conditioner detoxifies ammonia for two days. Use 2 drops/gal (tank size) with every water change. With a smaller tank, lots of live plants help ensure water quality.
So, does this mean I should put in 5 or 6 drops since I have a 2.6 gallon tank. OR since I change out one gallon, I put in 2 drops?
aecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #19 
NorthernLights

Roughly, that would be accurate. If your tap water has ammonia in it (test it!), you may need more. Keep in mind, Prime converts the ammonia to ammonium, so certain test kits (like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit so many of us have) will still show ammonia in the water because the test cannot distinguish between ammonia and ammonium.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I remember reading on their website it's only for 24 hours.
Depends on the pH.

Prime uses a sulfur compound (hence the smell) to add a hydrogen ion to ammonia (NH3) converting it to ammonium (NH4). Ammonium only exists at <6.5pH. So above that, as soon as it's converted, the ammonium wants to change back to ammonia. The higher the pH the faster this happens. This is a simplified explanation.

As I remember it, Seachem says it stays converted from 24 to 48 hours. This is easier than trying to explain subtle chemistry they hardly understand. Their explanations are rather poorly framed and explicated in my opinion.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote