Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
As the bacteria mainly live on surfaces and very few live in water, it is not true.
Nice! Good to know!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #12 
jaysee
Reference Team
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brigantine, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I thought if you make too big of a water change it can mess with the cycling process or an established cycle. Is that not true?
No that is not true. Water changes have no bearing on the cycle - the bacteria lives on the surfaces in the tank and filter, not in the water itself. You can change as much water as you wish, so long as the chemistry isn't too different.

While you are in the process of a fishless cycle, water changes are not as important. The bacteria can grow in ammonia concentrations that are lethal for fish. During a fishless cycle there is a time when a water change may be needed, and that's after the ammonia has been converted to nitrite. If the nitrite concentration is too high, it will cause the cycle process to stall.

During a fish in cycle, the goal should be to keep the ammonia level as low as possible so that the fish is not poisoned, so large frequent water changes are needed.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
No that is not true. Water changes have no bearing on the cycle - the bacteria lives on the surfaces in the tank and filter, not in the water itself. You can change as much water as you wish, so long as the chemistry isn't too different.

While you are in the process of a fishless cycle, water changes are not as important. The bacteria can grow in ammonia concentrations that are lethal for fish. During a fishless cycle there is a time when a water change may be needed, and that's after the ammonia has been converted to nitrite. If the nitrite concentration is too high, it will cause the cycle process to stall.

During a fish in cycle, the goal should be to keep the ammonia level as low as possible so that the fish is not poisoned, so large frequent water changes are needed.
Thank you :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
To directly answer aecraig: Yes. Just do that water change whenever the ammonia rises to 0.25ppm. Same deal when you get nitrite.

Prime (by Seachem) water conditioner detoxifies ammonia for two days. Use 2 drops/gal (tank size) with every water change. With a smaller tank, lots of live plants help ensure water quality.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #15 
jaysee
Reference Team
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brigantine, NJ
I remember reading on their website it's only for 24 hours.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #16 
NozzALa
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
That is a very oddly specific percentage.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #17 
aecraig
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzALa View Post
That is a very oddly specific percentage.
Haha I know, it's because I take out 1 gallon out of 2.6 gallons. It comes out to roughly 38%.
aecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #18 
aecraig
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
To directly answer aecraig: Yes. Just do that water change whenever the ammonia rises to 0.25ppm. Same deal when you get nitrite.

Prime (by Seachem) water conditioner detoxifies ammonia for two days. Use 2 drops/gal (tank size) with every water change. With a smaller tank, lots of live plants help ensure water quality.
So, does this mean I should put in 5 or 6 drops since I have a 2.6 gallon tank. OR since I change out one gallon, I put in 2 drops?
aecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #19 
NorthernLights
Member
 
NorthernLights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Roughly, that would be accurate. If your tap water has ammonia in it (test it!), you may need more. Keep in mind, Prime converts the ammonia to ammonium, so certain test kits (like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit so many of us have) will still show ammonia in the water because the test cannot distinguish between ammonia and ammonium.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I remember reading on their website it's only for 24 hours.
Depends on the pH.

Prime uses a sulfur compound (hence the smell) to add a hydrogen ion to ammonia (NH3) converting it to ammonium (NH4). Ammonium only exists at <6.5pH. So above that, as soon as it's converted, the ammonium wants to change back to ammonia. The higher the pH the faster this happens. This is a simplified explanation.

As I remember it, Seachem says it stays converted from 24 to 48 hours. This is easier than trying to explain subtle chemistry they hardly understand. Their explanations are rather poorly framed and explicated in my opinion.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fasting and Tank Changing Same Day LadyVictorian Betta Fish Care 2 09-05-2012 11:09 AM
Changing Gravel amethystlady Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 1 02-20-2011 07:22 AM
50% Change Every Day, or 100% Change Every Other Day? CrystalLace Betta Fish Care 9 11-08-2010 12:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.