Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #1 
sterplaz

blue betta starting to go down hill!!!????

I'll start with the basics asked by the administrator:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2gal hex
What temperature is your tank? 83F Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no since warm weather is here
What tank mates does y our betta fish live with? one neon tetra and one ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta flakes every day and then blood worms once on weekend
How often do you feed your betta fish? up till couple days ago, every six hours (he ate it up quick). Last couple days, once a day (he won't eat any more than that)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Now that the water is cycled, once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra's aquasafe plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: close to 0ppm (light yellow on color scale)
Nitrite: close to 0ppm (light blue on color scale)
Nitrate: very low (light orange on color scale)
pH: little above neutral, slightly alkaline, been this way for several months
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes, colors are still as vibrant as before; bright blue with a hint of green in fins and also a slight gunmetal type gray on lower half of head.
now, there seems to be a perceptible lightening around entire head, almost like a white powder build-up, is the best way to describe it. Also, and more ominously, there seems to be a reddish tint to part of his eyes that I don't remember being there before.

before, his appetite was voracious
now, he only eats occasionaly and then only a few pieces. appetite has definitely fallen off.

before, he swam almost constantly, investigating his surroundings and mildly chasing his tank mates
now, he parks himself up at the top of the tank in between the filter housing and the side of the plexiglass tank. when he does come down to lower levels he seems to pause and float motionlessly while partway pointed to the surface of the water.

before, he swam effortlessly and gracefully
now, he seems to have difficulty getting started and jerks himself and sorta of lists over to one side.

before, he only got one gulp of air at the surface
now, he takes several gulps of air and later I once observed him regurgitating several air bubbles all at once.?????

That's about the whole of it. Something definitely different, if not wrong. I am beginning to worry. I just recently changed 50% of the water, cleaned the algae off side of tank and installed new filter cartridge. I can't remember clearly but I think his odd behavior might have been starting just before that round of maintenance.

I should also note that the neon tetra and ghost shrimp look the same and act the same as they have always.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? within last week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no

Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? about a year old, I suppose, he seemed full grown when I bought him six months ago.

Does anyone have any clue? Should I start some aquarium salt treatment? I have something called Betta Fix, but am not sure if it is needed.

I have retested the ammonia and nitrite plus pH before posting and were the same as always

Please help, hope to interdict this thing early
thanks, Thomas
sterplaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you ever fasted him? IMO, he's being fed too much & I would switch from flakes to pellets as they are easier to mange how much he gets. New Life Spectrum & Omega One are the top two recommended. I would start with fasting him 2-3 days. If that doesn't help then let us know.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #3 
sterplaz

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely fast him and watch him closely, see what happens. I don't have pellets but will get them quick.

Thanks, Thomas
Old 06-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I hope that's all it'll take to make him feel better. Does his belly look bloated? Let us know how he's doing, you should see a change in his swimming by the 2nd day but not always.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #5 
sterplaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I hope that's all it'll take to make him feel better. Does his belly look bloated? Let us know how he's doing, you should see a change in his swimming by the 2nd day but not always.
Well, no, not that I can tell. I thought I saw a "mass" under his lower jaw that I didn't remember being there before. But I'm not absolutely certain about that. Upon closer look with a magnifying glass it didn't look out of the ordinary. Hmmm????

thanks, Thomas
Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #6 
sterplaz

betta's eyes look reddish???

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5775/7b52.png

Here is a quick image of my betta fish.

That's the clearest and closest image I can readily make. I think you can see the slight red tint to the eyes plus the very light coloring (lack of color really) on the lower half of head. Wasn't like that up until recently.

After one week, he is still doing the same thing; hangin listlessly at water surface. He doesn't go to get air at the surface as often as he used to. He has not eaten very much in the last week so I must assume he would be ravenous, but appetite is greatly diminished. (He is usually a voracious eater).

He seems to be more light colored around the head than what I remember him being when I first got him about six months ago. He had a vivid blue color (kinda a cobalt blue) and a noticeably blueish-gray head. Now he is still vivid blue but there seems to be an even lighter gray to his head. More particularly, there seems to be some whiteish build-up just over his eye sockets (or brow) that I don't remember being there until recently.

Once in a while he seems to list to one side and then vigorously moves his fins to correct himself. That bothers me somewhat.

What really bothers me is the red tint to the eyes around his pupils. Does anyone here know what that means in a fish?

I did a 50% water change today as usually scheduled but this time I put a small amount of epsom salt in the replacement water. I've always heard that is good for an aquarium fish that is ailing. Also, the tank mates (neon tetra and ghost shrimp) are the same as always.

Hope this info can help someone here make sense of what's happening. Thanks, Thomas
Old 06-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) How often does he poop?
2) What does his poop look like? Red-brown, white, stringy, etc?
3) How much Epsom salt did you add? (Teaspoons per gal, etc)
4) What brand of food are you using?

I would fast him for a day or two, and use Epsom salt at a low dosage (about 1 teaspoon per gallon. Make sure it's fully dissolved.) Then switch to a high quality pellet food such as New Life Spectrum Betta pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. Give him one pellet the first meal and see how he does with it. Keep him in an Epsom salt solution for up to 10-14 days, if needed. It may take a few days for the Epsom salt to have an effect.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-28-2013 at 02:27 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #8 
sterplaz

Hello,

1) Befrore his lethargy began, he would poop several times a day
2) some of the poop was dark, either black or very dark brown. Although for some weeks before I think some was very light colored.

3) I only added a "pinch" of the epsom salt for a 1gal water change (tank is two gallons). Do you think that amount was right?

Thanks, Thomas
Old 06-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #9 
sterplaz

I should add that he is working his gills fairly constant while re rests at the surface of the water, as well as when he rests on the bottom of the tank, which he now seems to being more of.

I am also now convinced, after a week of this trouble, that his colors are diffeerent, particularly the light color developing on his head. That light color is now evident on his belly just behind the gills.

I am wondering if he has that mystery problem discussed in the thread at the beginning of this sub-forum called " IMPORTANT watch out for these disease signs". But that thread said that disease spreads and kills the fish within a day or two. My betta has had this problem for a week now.

I think I will start using that stuff called BettaFix every day to see if that revives him.

But ... I'm no expert with fish maladies.

Last edited by sterplaz; 06-28-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

For your 2 gal tank, you would use a total of 2 teaspoons Epsom salt.... This would give you an overall dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon.

The lighter color is probably he isn't feeeling well. When they are sick or stressed (or asleep), they are often lighter/paler.

Does he look like he's coated with gold dust? If so, this could be a condition called Velvet.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-28-2013 at 11:59 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote