Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #1 
Sweetlove2350

New betta fry! Help!

Ok so I have betta eggs, they're growing tails and that's amazing. Except the fact I have no food for them. I'm 17 and no car no money. I got my betta as a gift and everyone I ask puts it off and says feed them flakes. But I've done my research and I know we'll enough that fry only eat LIVE food. (Microworms) and I can't get them. Please any suggestions are appreciated! I don't want my betta babies to die!!:(
Sweetlove2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #2 
Vier

Why did you breed the fish before realizing this? :(

Some options
Get to a pet store and buy supplies for hatching baby brine shrimp
Someone is nice and mails you a microworm culture
Attempt to get them to eat crush flaked (maybe 1 or 2 will end up eating it)
Research infusoria cultures and get on that asap!
Let the spawn go, and try again later once you are more prepared to handle fry
Vier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #3 
Sweetlove2350

Well I got excited cause I heard they were live bearers:( and I put them together and read how to breed them. So I followed those instructions and then when I seem eggs in the bubbles it came to me, what do they eat? And I've searched google and all over the Internet what other options I had. The said boiled egg whites, crushed flakes, etc. but I need an expert answer so I came here. I really wish I was prepared because I hate for them to die. I also mate mollys, they are way easier. And I've mated guppies as well. And I've cried when one of my favorite fish who I had for about a year died. Trust me this wasn't my intention to have any die:( that's why I'm trying so hard to get other answers.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I agree that it was very irresponsible to breed without doing proper research or being prepared. Just a lesson for next time.

Honestly, if they can't get love food when they start free swimming, they will not survive. The quickest live food would probably be baby brine shrimp, to get those you need to set up a hatchery (jar with salt and airpump) and add brine shrimp eggs... If you can't drive to a petstore (any chain store will not carry it... You need a local business... And even there there is no guarantee) you could order them online. Where do you live? Someone on here may be near you and have a microworm culture, which isn't ideal but will keep them alive.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #5 
Sweetlove2350

I'm in lake Charles, La. Know of any shops that sell them? And you bet next time I WILL have it done right and be prepared:)
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Will you be able to house those male bettas separately and have them all the same temperature? I'm serious, livebearers are the easiest to breed and sell. Breeding bettas are several levels higher. You can easily get over 150+. Not small like the average birth rate for guppies at 10 each push.

Here are CA fish stores. Good luck.

Just to add, and I'm sorry if it seems "cruel". I'd let fish die early rather than keep them in bad conditions throughout their lives.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #7 
Sweetlove2350

@lebronthebetta you have no clue how much I'd love to help everyone of those fish. Both me and my boyfriend have a great passion for bettas and yes we have the tank supply. And I agree that I'd rather end their suffering but I can't help but try my best to give them a chance at life. I'm dedicated to get this done right. I have a feeling that though its my first time and I'm not prepared that I will have a few survivors. I'm a beginner but learning so many options and fast. Lol thank you for your help. I highly appreciate it.

-your fellow future betta fanatic:)

Last edited by Sweetlove2350; 08-02-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #8 
trilobite

trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #9 
trilobite

Since its your first spawn most will probs die. The fry have a critical stage when the become free swimming and if they dont get food withing this stage many will starve. Feed em a chunk of boiled egg yolk mixed in water if you dont have live food. How big is your tank? the bigger it is, the harder it is for the fry to find the food.
Also hope like hell that you dont end up with 100 fry and 95% of them being males lol.

Ps. bettas arent live bearers
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #10 
Sweetlove2350

Lol my tank is a 5 gal and yes I took out half the water. And how much egg yolk should I put and exactly how do I feed it to them? Do I crush it up or keep it whole?

Tags
lebronthebetta