Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #1 
lyraloo

Question Color change?

This is Oracle, my halfmoon Betta. When I first rescued this little guy he was a beautiful white. I've been reading around the internet and have seen that many people's white betta have eventually changed colors once they got into a good environment. Does this look like the case? It seems he's taking on an orange/copper/red tinge to his fins and head along with some newly arisen grey mottling on his body and dorsal fin. He does NOT have velvet! When I mention "coppery" some people have jumped to this conclusion about the color but he is highly active and happy! Also, I have not fed a color enhancing food.

I'd say it's been about a good 3 months since I got my little baby and he's been in a nice tank with heater and gentle filtration.

Thanks for any input or similar findings! I generally lean towards black betta's, but Oracle was just so striking at the time that I had to rescue him from that TERRIBLE excuse for a fish shop!
lyraloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Color enhancing food barely works, I never bother with it anymore but yes, I'd say this is due to him brightening up as he becomes content! He may also have a marble gene in him which means that he could change color at any given time. It looks like maybe the blue spots will expand eventually on the lower half of his body and in his tail. It should be very entertaining to watch him change colors! I suggest you take pictures of him often to log them and see if he changes at all in two weeks or so. Sometimes they take a long time to change and other times they can change almost seemingly overnight!

But he could also just have those blue spots and not have the marble gene, in which case he just brightened up and those are his true colors ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #3 
lyraloo

Marble/jumping gene was along the lines of what I was thinking at one point. Those spots have been slowly creeping all over his back end! It's certainly been interesting seeing him change like this - I think it started about two weeks after he came home and got settled, and now I wish I had taken some more pictures back then! The orange/red/copper color has been slower to creep up, maybe about a month in he was getting pink and now this! :) I wonder how far his feisty little aggressive butt will go!

@.@ as I say that he's getting angry at the picture of himself on the monitor! Hah!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ahaha, cutie! Yes so just keep pictures of him and see what he does in the next few weeks
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #5 
LittleDeer

Yes it's very common for their colors to sort of "brighten up" and even change slightly once they are comfortable and happy in a real tank in a new home. I got my girls 3 days ago, and they're already brightening up. I think my white girl will have red edging to her fins, she's getting slowly pinker on her fins and her ventrals were red when I got her. My girl Gylfie has change from silver blue and pale orange to what's looking like bright blue and bright red. It's fun to watch how they change as they grow into happy healthy fish.

My boy was rather dark and dull when I got him but now he's bright royal blue with long fire engine red ventrals and patches of red-violet as well as a few iridescent stripes in his tail-fin. He's not perfect, but he's still beautiful.

Your boy is absolutely gorgeous, by the way :)
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #6 
Viva

I've heard that many white bettas get some red or orange to them so I think this is very common. I've never experienced any color changing with my bettas unfortunately...yet!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #7 
lyraloo

Thank you little :) None of my betta's have changed color too much in the past so this is sure a novel experience! The only thing I've had happen for the most part was color "bleeding" outward on fins and such. Have you posted any pics of your lil'uns? They sound super cute!

To viva - that's what seems to be the general consensus after I've been sifting around the internet, and I sure feel better now! At first I was a bit worried about it.. nice knowing many other white betta owners have had similar experiences though! Thank goodness for betta lover communities!! :3 Maybe your betta will decide to surprise you too, sometime!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #8 
Viva

Yeah I hope so! I just got a platinum white female so maybe she'll decide to surprise me one day :D
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote