Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #1 
Emparios

Suprise adoption!

Ok, so some of you know that my betta boy, Cyclone, died just two days ago in a horrible accident.
SIP Cyclone

I was planning on waiting a while before adopting another fish, since my heart was broken when Cyclone died, but when my family went to petsmart for cat stuff, I found, hidden on one of the low-light lower shelves, this beautiful boy...

..and just had to take him home! What can I say, I'm a sucker for bettas. I just hate seeing them in those little containers . Does anyone know what this coloring would be called, if it's called anything? It's hard to tell from any picture of mine, but his body is actually grey, looking blue in a different light. He also has two stripes, which you can see, and his fins are yellow, but blue-tipped.
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #2 
Fin Fancier

lol. My last two "need to have" bettas were surprises as well. Oddly enough one of them looked like your new one, but he's a double tail. Most people would call his color mustard gas, but that name technically is owned by the person who created the original strain. Lets just call him a beautiful bi-color. Congrats on your new boy, he won't replace your last betta, but you'll come to love him in his own way.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #3 
Emparios

Thank you ^-^ A double tail, you say? I thought of getting one of those a while ago, but I love veiltails. It's something about their simplicity, I guess. And mustard gas? What an odd name for a fish coloring XD I'd call it magic, or something even weirder, though, so I guess it's not that odd :P
Old 06-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #4 
Fin Fancier

My very first bettas were veil tails, my only one right now is my female, Honey. (my avatar pic) I love her. If you google mustard gas betta you'll see what I mean.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #5 
Emparios

Honey is absolutly gorgeous! Never thought female bettas could be so bright, but then again, I've only really seen them at wal-mart and *occasionaly* in petsmart. And all of the mustard gas bettas are so colorful! Beautiful! I can see why so many people are betta fans XD
Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #6 
rosy delta

I think the stripes may be stress stripes?? not sure, but they will probably go away. He is going to be a stunner soon as he settles in and colors up the way he should be. Congratulations on your find, and thank you for getting that poor fish out of a horrible place!
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #7 
Saphira101

Congrats!

He looks like a 'mustard gas' veiltail to me. He's got stress stripes like rosy delta said, but those will probably fade once he settles in.

He's a beauty! Does he have a name?
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #8 
Emparios

Thank you for your congratulations!

Yea, I see what you mean about the stripes; they seem to have all but disappeared. Poor thing still seems really shy, too... As for a name: I tend not to name my fish for the first couple days of having them, so he doesn't have a name yet. I'm open to suggestions, though :)
Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #9 
Saphira101

May I suggest Pippin?

Best of luck!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #10 
Emparios

Heres a more current pic of Pippin (thank you for the name sugestion, Saphira!) His tail got ripped a little at the end, I think, from the spiky plants I had in the tank. Cyclone had no problem with them, but Pippin is so active that I felt had to remove them.

Flash on:

In these, you can kind of see the tiny black spots that run along his fins. Should I be worried, or are they just his markings coming through?

Without flash (Sorry for the quality of the first one, he's constantly moving, and my camera doesn't help too much):

And one of him flaring his gills:

Sorry that there's so many, I find that I'm obsessed with trying to get a good picture of him, so I have a lot of good ones that I wanna show, and a ton of blurred ones that I have to delete.