Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #1 
VegasShimmer

New rescue! 7 is my limit.....maybe...

Just thought I would share my new boy, Feather! I rescued from PetSmart about a week ago. He was so sad looking and doing a lot of surface breathing in his cup. He was looking so torn up and I didn't want to see such a beautiful HM die without a chance. He was depressed and barely eating the first day or two and I really thought he was not going to perk up. But now, for the past week and a half, he has been in his own planted/heated 5g tank and is enthusiastically building a bubble nest as I type this!!

What type of coloring would you call this? Part cellophane? Or perhaps he has not come into his full color yet. My betta, Marble, had a clear tail when he was young, but it turned solid and very full. I can tell Feather's tail has mended/grown in a few spots - it was looking pretty mangled when I got him.
Attached Images

VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #2 
Mar

That is one attractive fish.
As for colouration, I'm no expert and probably wrong but I'd guess bicolour or butterfly? I really suck at it lmao and no clue.

But he is a very very very beautiful boy and both of you are super lucky to have met each other!

Beautiful tank btw
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #3 
VegasShimmer

Thank you, Mar! He loves his tank, and loves swimming through the thick hornwort. That stuff grows like crazy!

I guess I will just have to wait and see what he turns into over the next month or two. As I said, my other HM had a partially clear tail when I first got him, but it is solid now. :)
Old 06-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #4 
Mar

How's the hornwort? Is it hard to grow? Thinking of getting some for my sorority. Provides nice coverage and it looks good too! Also, my pretty females love sleeping on the plants so I'd think they'd enjoy the hornwort as well.

I really hope your betta doesn't change! He's already so beautiful. Even if he doesn't change, please post pics in a month or so and let us know how he's doing.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #5 
Emparios

He's so beautiful O.O You definately need to post some more pics of him as he grows ^-^
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #6 
VegasShimmer

It's definitely not hard to grow (it grows very fast), but it takes a little patience in managing. If it stays nice, green and healthy, then just trimming and rearranging every now and then is needed. But, if parts start to turn brown, then needles will fall off and mess up the tank a bit. I had that happen in my 6.6g tank, but after a little trimming, light vacuuming, and patient suctioning, it's clean now. I have some hornwort gently anchored to the bottom, and some I keep floating. Either way, I am pretty satisfied with it. I love the look of it also!

Some people love it, and some people hate it. It's very delicate, but makes for great cover and fill-in, especially for a sorority. :)
Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #7 
Mar

okay you convinced me! The PETsMART near me has lots of hornwort, but the tops are brown, so I guess just trimming that off would work?

And yes, post as many photos of beautiful Feather as you can!

I really want a red and white HM or DT. I'd name him Patriot, cause red and white are the colours of Canada!
Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #8 
VegasShimmer

Thank you Emparios! I will definitely post more pics in the future!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #9 
VegasShimmer

Yes, just trimming off the brown would be a start. Just watch it closely as it acclimates, and if you notice any brown spots, trim it off before it sheds on the tank floor. The littlest green pieces grow inches within days, so save all green areas, even if very small. You are lucky your local Petsmart carries it, I had to mail order mine. My Petsmart only carries Wisteria (which I love also) and sick looking Anubias. :/
Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #10 
Mar

Never had much luck planting the wisteria, so I just float it. My fish love sleeping in it!

And thanks for the advice