Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #1 
Seki

From zero to five... sorority purchases~ (PIC HEAVY)

Alright, so after my panic subsided and I got all of the girls into separate cups, I figured I might as well take a couple snapshots of the five new females I just purchased for my sorority. They'll be in quarantine for a while yet while the tank cycles, but they were so beautiful my willpower was weak.

Amusingly enough, I only purchased four. The fifth one was a stowaway and I really don't know what color she is because she is so stressed she is colorless and heavily striped. Hopefully some time away from the other girls will help her calm down I feel so bad for the poor girl... she was bullied while they were in the bag as I frantically cleaned cups to get them separated. They lived together at the store, but being in such a tiny bag all together for nearly an hour was stressful for them, clearly.

All but one of the girls is unnamed right now. But no worries, they'll get names by tomorrow. I am just too tired to think of anything right now. Any ideas on colors are welcomed. I think I might have a chocolate and a red cambodian? Would love opinions~

TBC
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #2 
Seki

And last but not least, little Tagalong. I have no idea what color she will end up being. Her fins have a faint reddish hue to them right now, but idk... She is already my baby, though.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #3 
osromatra

Aw, all are pretty! And I'm jealous about the yellow girl! I have been trying to get some yellow in my sorority for a while now and we only get red, blue, and red/purple cambodians.

The last girl, bless her. I bet she ends up red. My two red girls looked similar until they got healthy and unstressed.

Good luck! I love my sorority!
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #4 
Seki

Osromatra - thank you! She is such a sweet lil thing. Hope she recovers fast! I am looking forward to this sorority!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #5 
Deanna01

Very pretty!
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #6 
Seki

Thank you!! I want to take a few more pictures because even one night in the dark and warmth has made significant changes. The all red girl is sooooo so red now, her stress stripes are gone. And the brownish one with yellow fins looks... faintly blue-ish? Like... a blue iridescence or something. I don't know...

Little Tagalong is still striped, but her fins have gotten more color to them! They look orangey-red now. I might actually start a thread to document her progress. I have absolutely fallen in love with the betta I didn't even know I was getting. She chose me rather than the other way around~

Do you guys think these girls are all veiltails, or...? I am fairly certain some of them are actually spawn sisters. The associate at the LFS told me the tiny ones had just come in from their breeder, so I think my girls are all still pretty young. Anyone have a guess as to ages?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha, they look like my girls!! So sweet. I got your message so I'm just going to reply here.

For now you can place Tagalong into the half gallon QT, make sure she's got a heater or something, if not, let it float in the 10 if you can, it should fit even if you have to take the hood off. She doesn't look like she needs anything majorly healed right now so I would do a half a teaspoon per gallon, so do .25 teaspoon for the half gallon you've got. This will make nice for a preventative and if she does have any thing, it should heal her as well.

Keep her in the solution for about 7 days, change her water everyday diligently and use Double Dose of Stress Coat to start healing her fins right up. I would do the same for your first bi-color girl (who looks like my Matisse )

She'll be fine in the sorority but what you need to do is introduce the four when it comes time and by that time she should be starting to heal up, keep her in the cup changing water everyday or every other to keep her clean for another two weeks after everyone else is in. This way she will be strong enough to enter the sorority and everyone will have picked their places by then and she'll happily go to the bottom of the pecking order. She will get some torn fins again but just continue to use the Stress Coat on the sorority.

If you see that one girl is nonstop picking on her, put the bully into a clear breeder box or a cup for a Time Out session. This way they all can still see each other but they can't get at each other (Breeder boxes are easier so that you don't have to change water every/every other day). So after about a week of being in the box (sometimes even just 2 days) the bully will settle down and you can release her again. If you find she's still being a bully, put her back in for another week.

I actually just released Lady Deathstrike after a month of being QT'd because when she first accidentally got out she seemed to have a HUUUUGGGEEEE vendetta against her two sisters and didn't care about the other girls, she wanted to hurt little Jewel. So I decided to QT Lady for two weeks longer, just let her out a few days ago and she's the chillest girl in there! My AB girl is the one who's freaking out haha, but Lady is doing wonderfully and doesn't bother her two sisters who I did let out first.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions of course!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #8 
Seki

LOL lilnaugrim, they DO look like your girls! I went hunting for your sorority thread and I was like "... yep, I have on that looks like that... one that looks like that one...that one, too..." XD

Alright, I'll get Tagalong started on some salt and stress coat. I might actually pick up a cheap gallon bowl for her or something since I have to run out to get the stress coat anyway. I hate putting fish in half gallons... No worries, though, I have a 7.5 watt heater to put in there with her so she'll stay warm, and I have a couple spare silk plants that are small enough to fit in there, so she doesn't feel too exposed. I was going to keep it bare-bottomed, though.

I hadn't realized the bicolor girl needs help, too, thanks for pointing that out! She is a bit beat up, but I'm afraid I was more focused on Tagalong since the bicolor girl is much more chill haha. But I'll get her fixed up.

Gonna pick up the breeder box today while I'm out (I have to remind myself not to get anymore girls today... I do want two more for the sorority, but... I shouldn't get them today!!) and some more cups for water changes for my boys (my girls are currently in every cup I have!). Hopefully the girls will take pellets today. I didn't even try last night since they were still a bit stressed, but I'm hopeful about today.

Any guesses on ages? Compared to your girls, lilnaugrim, they look TINY! The yellow one especially still almost looks like a fry...
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I wouldn't guess any more than 3 to 3.5 months old, or if the breeder was really good and got his/her fry to go, the yellow one could be about 2-2.5 months old!!

Yeah they should eat just fine today, just give one pellet and see what they do with it. I'm happy that you can get all the supplies for them! It's going to make both your life and their lives much easier that you get the breeder box and the Stress Coat. I use Stress Coat all the time in the sorority because someone's always got a tear or four in their fins lol Mystique right now is especially beat up since she's trying to hold her Alpha spot but I added in two of the newer girls (Jewel and Emma's sister, Lady Deathstrike and the AB girl that I still have yet to name) The AB girl is the one going after the Alpha spot but half the time she still seems uninterested in Mystique so here's to hoping that Mystique keeps her Alpha spot because she is a good Alpha girl ^_^

But yeah they can all use some Stress Coat from here out, none of them have perfect fins so it's better to start healing them now for when they do go in together. And that sounds fine for your little Tagalong as long as she stays warm, she'll be happy ^_^ Even if she's not in sight of them it's completely fine because you can float her for a week or two in the tank before she goes into the sorority when she's strong enough. That would be the easiest way to do it.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #10 
Seki

Soooo... there may or may not be a food theme to some of these names... >.>

In order from the first picture to the last, the names have been decided as follows:

-Hershey
-Kitkat
-Sundae
-Kira
-Tagalong

I'll try not to name the last two girls after food. And for the record, Kira means "sun" in Persian according to some research I did, which is why I named the yellow girl Kira! Her male counterpart is named Nova, so I figured I wanted to do something pertaining to the sun with her as well. I might eventually breed for yellow.