Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nice! Actually Tagalong girlscout cookies are food too, that's what I was thinking about when you introduced her XD I like it!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #12 
Seki

LOL I used to be a girl scout, I remember those!! They were the best ones other than thin mints hahahaha.

Anywho, set up the new 1 gal I bought for Tagalong's temporary home. It's not a big tank, but it turned out rather nicely if I do say so myself. ^_^
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #13 
Seki

Anyone care for some pics now that they've colored up a bit? ^_^

Hershey (sorry, she's the hardest to see in the tank due to her being right by the darkest colored plant)

Kitkat (anyone think she might be a delta?)

Sundae (you can't see it, but there is clear regrowth on the damaged part of her tail)

Kira

Tagalong (still floating in the ten gallon while I make sure the heater in her 1 gallon hospital tank is working properly)

Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww their all so cute! Makes me miss my girls right now since I'm not at my dads, at my moms ^_^

Yeah my girls Maddie, Raven and Shadowcat are all so hard to photograph since they're all black or some variation to and on black sand too XD lol

Tank looks great! It did come out nice, see those cheap ones are good for Betta's because there is more surface area for them to go up and breathe you know? And it's cheap so all you really need is just the heater and it's set to go which I see you have ^_^

Also Kitkat is not a delta she is a VT. There are many "forms" to VT or traits like the spade tail shape which is a variation of VT and the regular rounded tail and then like what Kitkat has. So you see her rays? She's only got two ray's which is only what VT's and CT's have. Although you get the occasional 4 ray CT, they're different. ALL VT's have only 2 rays. The way you tell if she was a DeT would be if she had more splits in the rays. If she had 4 splits and didn't meet the 180 degree mark of an HM, then yes she'd be a DeT. And so on, if she had 6 or 8 and still didn't meet the 180 when she flared, then she'd be a DeT or Super DeT, but if she had 4,6, or 8 and her spread hit 180 when flared then she's an HM! Woohoo, Betta tail genetics for the win! lol Now you know ^_^
Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #15 
Seki

Yeah, that was my thought on getting this tank instead of the little bowl for the same price. Yes, the bowl was glass, but it had such limited surface area for her to breathe... and I would have to rig up my own covering for the top with mesh and such. This tank is wider at the top and narrower at the bottom, so she'll have a lot more room to go up and breathe. Plus, I made it pretty for her LOL and she can hide in the plant I put in there.

Thanks for the explanation on how to determine tail types! I am actually looking at breeding in a few years, so that is really helpful! Plus now, I can identify my fishies better, especially if I go back to my LFS to get more girls (probably won't... I saw a gorgeous CT female at Petco the other day that I am probably going to go back for). I asked the associate at the LFS if they had different tail types for their girls like they do for their boys and he just looked at me blankly and said "I don't think females come in different tail types..." I had to stop myself from giving him a lecture hahaha. But to be fair, he actually worked in the marine section of the store, he had just come over to get fish for me because they were so busy.

I am satisfied the heater is working appropriately and keeping the water at 82, so Tagalong is going into her temp. tank now! Hopefully those stress stripes will be history in the next day or two!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yay sounds awesome! I'm sure she'll love it ^_^ she just needs to be fattened up a little and she'll be set

That's actually cute about the worker, but yeah when I first started I didn't even know about females XD and then I was like....oh yeah, they breed, there must be females! haha too funny.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #17 
Seki

Since I can't help myself from showing off my babies... here are some updated pics for you guys! They are doing great in their new home and there have only been a few little spats. Kitkat has established herself as the alpha and the other girls have fallen in line behind her. She seems to pick on Hershey quite a bit, though, so I'll have to watch carefully to make sure Kitkat doesn't need some time in the box to chill out. She's really only mean to Hershey, though.

Tagalong has recovered beautifully! You guys won't even recognize her, seriously. Her body is almost black now, her fins are a beautiful bright red. She's got a lot of spunk! She and Kitkat were flaring at each other through the breeder's box... hoping she doesn't try for the alpha spot haha. We'll see, though!

Sundae and Kitkat with Tagalong in the background.

Kira and Tagalong... with Kitkat sneaking in at the bottom.

Kitkat and Tagalong making friends... or something like that.

Love love LOVE this picture of Kira. Her blue eyes are just adorable!! And of course, Kitkat the camera hog is there as well. LOL

Sundae saying hello to her long lost tankmate, Tagalong!

Last, a video of my girls fussing over Tagalong in the box. Sorry it's so blurry at times! My stupid phone doesn't know how to focus... >.<
http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Asek...312e9.mp4.html
Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #18 
jesssan2442

beautiful!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #19 
Shadyr

So pretty! I keep eyeing these Chocolate girls they have been getting in at PetCo recently. I might give in one of these days....
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #20 
Seki

Thanks guys!! I'm so excited to get Tagalong in with the other girls, although she and Kitkat are still facing off through the breeder box, so it might be a bit yet. Honestly, though, I think Kitkat is going to get a timeout when I let Tagalong in. She's been terrorizing all three other girls in the tank right now, and poor Hershey is looking a bit worse for the wear right now.

On a side note, do you think that's what Hershey is, a chocolate betta? I was thinking that, which is why I named her Hershey, but I'd love others' input. Pretty sure Sundae is considered a Cambodian, and obviously Kira and Kitkat are both solids.