Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #1 
renee58

Unhappy Sick Betta

HTML Code:
My Betta is bloated and I read that epsom salt would be good for this.  In what amounts?  Also I read not to feed the fish for a few days, instead give him a shelled pea.  What kind of pea?  A garden pea?  should I boil it first?

I know these questions are silly but I am new at this and worried about my baby.  Please help me.:cry::-?:-(:-(:-(:cry::cry::cry::cry:
renee58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Frozen or rehydrated daphnia would be better for him than a pea. Daphnia is more natural and peas are too hard on their digestive tracts. Fast him for a day or two and feed him the daphnia. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your betta. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #3 
FordMan

Usually when a fish body bloats it's some kind of internal bacterial infection you can try antibiotics but most likely it's too late. Epson salt will make the problem worse you want the fish to excrete fluid not retain it which adding disolved solids to freshwater tends to do.
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #4 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan View Post
Usually when a fish body bloats it's some kind of internal bacterial infection you can try antibiotics but most likely it's too late. Epson salt will make the problem worse you want the fish to excrete fluid not retain it which adding disolved solids to freshwater tends to do.
I'd have to disagree. Bettas are pretty prone to constipation, so I would suspect this before internal infection. Adding epsom salt actually do cause the fish to excrete fluids because of osmosis. Because the fish's cells can not take the salt in, to achieve equilibrium they let water escape. If you want to read more look up "osmosis in a selctively permeable membrane".

Before you go adding anything to the water though, I'd try the fast followed by feeding daphnia. It's just easier on the fish. We also need to find out the cause. What size tank is it, what and how much do you feed, what are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate), and how long have you had the fish?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #5 
renee58

Betta in trouble.

Well, this is the story.

The fish was doing very well. For christmas my husband bought me a bio-orb for him and we were able to put him in a more public place because it has a lid and light and we have cats. He was doing very well and looked beautiful. One day my husband said he had a black spot by his gill and decided to get him some meds. I don't remember what it was but the day I added it his gills enlarged. The bloat is under his gills, not by his middle. It has trouble swimming but is eating. Gills don't look good and I am very worried about him. He swims top heavy because of his inflamation. The orb is about 5 gallons has a filter with plants and rocks.

He is now in his other bowl in my bathroom where I can manage the heat better and there is nothing else in the bowl. It is kind of a hospital for him until we try to figure out how to get him better.

Your help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for you quick responses.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #6 
renee58

Continued from Sick Betta

I appreciate the advice but I feel I should tell you what led up to this situation.

Well, this is the story.

The fish was doing very well. For christmas my husband bought me a bio-orb for him and we were able to put him in a more public place because it has a lid and light and we have cats. He was doing very well and looked beautiful. One day my husband said he had a black spot by his gill and decided to get him some meds. I don't remember what it was but the day I added it his gills enlarged. The bloat is under his gills, not by his middle. It has trouble swimming but is eating. Gills don't look good and I am very worried about him. He swims top heavy because of his inflamation. The orb is about 5 gallons has a filter with plants and rocks.

He is now in his other bowl in my bathroom where I can manage the heat better and there is nothing else in the bowl. It is kind of a hospital for him until we try to figure out how to get him better.

Your help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for you quick responses.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #7 
Kim

Ahh..ok. That's a totally different thing then. Could you get a picture of his gills? Do you know what the medication was/what it was for? Did the BioOrb have a heater? What do you do as far as maintenance is concerned?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #8 
renee58

I'll get a picture of his gills and find out the medicine we gave him. The bio-orb did not have a heater.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #9 
Kim

Ok, I'll watch for the picture. In the future, if you want to put him back in the bio-orb you will need a heater for it. Bettas need a constant temperature of 78-80, and anything lower than 75-76 will increase their susceptability to disease. You could probably get a 25 watt stealth heater and just stick the entire thing in because it's submersable.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #10 
renee58

Hi,

The medicine we used was Maracyn-Two.

Do you know this med?

Renee