Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #1 
coleaini

Baby betta sick now adult sick too/ something stuck in his mouth?-- please help.

Sanim (baby) got sick last night and I posted about it, he's not moving, not stopping even the slightest movement from pushing him around. He's breathing hard and I think that he's probably not going to make it much longer.

Now Mohak seems to be sick tonight. --*they have never shared a tank.

Mahak (adult) seems to have something stuck in his mouth, he's trying to dislodge it but it's just not coming out, he was taking more frequent breaths, swimming back and forth fast when before he would glide along calmly.

His gills are pretty puffed out and he's breathing rather quickly and he's taking pretty frequent rests, now he seems to be laying at the bottom and staying longer.

He is also making his fins stand up and out a lot, maybe to make himself seem bigger? Maybe because he's scared?

-
Housing
What size is your tank? 10G
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, he ate a pea today
How often do you feed your betta fish? We just got him, about once a day though he fasted for two.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner.

Water is fine.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Gills seem swollen.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Swimming fast back and forth, laying at the bottom of his tank a lot.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? As they occured tonight.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only had him a week, before this his was pretty calm and seemed fine.
How old is your fish (approximately)? --adult.

-please, if there is anything we can do for Mahak, let me know. I know we could try with the gentle tweezers, I'm not sure we have those right now.

We've put so much love and care into these sweeties and I just want them to be okay, I know Sanim's survival is unlikely but I am holding out for Mahak.

Last edited by coleaini; 06-23-2013 at 03:04 AM.
coleaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #2 
TheGoldenBetta

I think you should do four 25% water changes daily, maybe about an hour in between each one. Other members will have more input. Good luck!
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #3 
coleaini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenBetta View Post
I think you should do four 25% water changes daily, maybe about an hour in between each one. Other members will have more input. Good luck!
Thank you, this is pretty old, the baby, Sanim died the next morning and Mahak is alive and well. :3!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #4 
TheGoldenBetta

I'm so sorry, I wish at least somebody would have answered earlier. :/ Well, at least Mahak pulled through, I'm glad to hear that. BTW don't feel bad because the younger bettas don't have as good immune systems, so I don't know if you could have done anything. Good luck in the future!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #5 
coleaini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenBetta View Post
I'm so sorry, I wish at least somebody would have answered earlier. :/ Well, at least Mahak pulled through, I'm glad to hear that. BTW don't feel bad because the younger bettas don't have as good immune systems, so I don't know if you could have done anything. Good luck in the future!
Yeah, after talking to the local fish store guys we figured he wouldn't pull through, even though he seemed okay for a bit.

I was kind of shocked no one answered this actually. :3
Old 07-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #6 
TheGoldenBetta

Yeah I check unanswered threads daily, and I didn't see yours for a while. :/