Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #1 
tngirl92

Walmart Rescue Tips

Luckily, my nearest Walmart has opted not to sell live fish anymore, but occasionally Dwarden3 and I will go to the next town over to check out their betta fish. We went last night and I found a beautiful orange veiltail with a sad case of fin rot. I have the medicine and supplies necessary to save him, but unfortunately am limited by tanks. My current betta lives in a 2.5 gallon tank and I have an empty half-gallon hospital tank available. Dwarden3 has an empty 1 gallon Critter Keeper available. I don't think either of these are good for a fish long term, but they might be ok for a few weeks until we get paid and can upgrade to a bigger tank. Once orange fish gets healthy, I could divide a ten gallon for him and Mr. P. I do not however have a heater appropriate for one of the hospital tanks and won't be able to purchase one until Tuesday at the earliest. Part of me really wants to save this fish and the other part feels it is irresponsible to do so when I don't have all the right supplies on hand.

Additionally, the females at Walmart were in even sadder condition. The males came in on a new shipment, so at least they had clean water, but some of the females were in filthy water. None of them had any noticeable color they are so stressed, and I spotted at least one case of severe columnaris. I really wish I had the funding to get them all and that it was practical for me to do so. I'm a college student so I move around a lot, and Mr. P and his 2.5 gallon are manageable for me right now. My living situation will change in August. I am renting part of a house off-campus instead of living on-campus, so I could possibly have a more permanent aquarium.

How do you all deal with the pain of seeing bettas in poor condition? Do you think it is feasible for me to save orange fish, or maybe one of the girls? Maybe I could stabilize-and-float the Critter Keeper in Dwarden3's ten gallon to keep orange fish warm while he heals. What do you think?
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #2 
iamnita321

Smile Run Your Rescue Mission

i know exactly how you feel i have a petco in my area that keeps there bettas in a droplet amount of water. every time i walk in i want to save them all but its just not reasonable. I honestly do think you should save the fish but I'm a overall fish lover. You must think about what suits your best interests. although you may only have a half gallon tank available rite now it would most likely save the poor fishes life i mean if you have all the supplies to care of the male you should try your best to save them in my opinion.
iamnita321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

As much as I HATE the way Bettas are kept at most Petsmart, Petco, wal-mart, lots of LFS' & so on, I've made the choice not to purchase from those types of places any more. If they don't take good care of their bettas I won't purchase any from them. I know I'm only one person so they won't notice but I feel better not supporting their abuse.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #4 
Haleigh

Even if you cannot get the best supplies right away, whatever you provide the fish will be much better than the cup where he is currently living. You have to follow your heart. If you feel a special connection to the fish and want to add him to your family, then go for it!

**Please post pictures if you do get him!
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #5 
tngirl92

Thank you everyone for your kind advice. I am going back to get the orange fish. I think it is too late to save the girls, but I know I can help this poor guy out. The plan is to keep him in the critter keeper with daily water changes with a dose of stress coat and aquarium salt. As soon as I am able, I will upgrade to a divided 5 or ten gallon tank for my boys. I will post pics when I get back so you can help me think of names! This is my first Walmart betta in a long time, and while I feel bad for supporting their abuse by purchasing from them, I cannot allow this boy to rot or for someone who is ignorant about his care to take him home. I know I can do him a world of good!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #6 
tngirl92

I will keep him in the warmest room in the house, out of drafts. If his temp is still too low to be healthy, I may consider putting both tanks in a storage tub of shallow water and heating the tub. I have heard this works well for betta breeders so I may be able to implement the same idea temporarily for my small tanks.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #7 
iamnita321

Smile

Great decision can't wait to see him
iamnita321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #8 
Haleigh

Yay! I'm so excited for you! As for the temperature, I see that your location is in Georgia. I'm in North Carolina, and even though I have an automatic heater, it hasn't been in use for weeks. The hot summer mixed with cool air conditioning creates a good temperature for bettas. I have a feeling your home will be warm enough for your little guy.
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #9 
tngirl92

Well, I'm actually home for the summer from college, so I'm in Tennessee, but our summers are still pretty hot. My first boy has his tank powered by a weak heater during the summer, but I think he will be fine without it for a bit. He is acclimating now!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #10 
tngirl92

See pictures of my pretty little boy here!

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....10#post2388010