Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Can you use colored gravel at all in an NPT or do half npt tank succesfully?

I know I am probably not going to be the norm as most people doing NPT's want a natural look. I am venturing into this because I feel it's the best choice for a sorority. I would like to have live plants in all of my 5 gallons and 2 gallons eventually (13 5 gal and 4 2 gal) However, I am still into the idea of having some specific themes and colors for some of my tanks.

So is there any way I can still achieve this with live plants, colored gravel (in some tanks) and still have a healthly NPT? I still want soil in the tanks.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The color does not matter, the only function of color is aesthetics. Your challenge will be finding the right gravel size.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you can't find the right gravel size you can always use colored sand to get the same effect, petco does carry a variety of sand colors and it's actually pretty fine and soft as well.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

Yes the color is definitely aestetic. I have one fish who is gorgeous IMO his body is a charcoal gray, has really large clear fins (I was told this is a butterfly pattern) that are colored with grays, whites blues, and red. The red is the big accent color so I want some reds accents in his tank and avoid having him blend in with his gray. I want to do something special for him. Plus I have a few kitchy themes, like gnomes in the typical american front yard with a picket fence. I grew attached to the humor with gnomes with through a French movie called "Amélie" a Twilight zone thene ect. and there few classier themes I want to carry out based on paintings. I have an art background which I have not exercised in recent years.

Anyhoowww....
I will probably go with sand but if I wish to persist with gravel what size do I need?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote