Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What's Been Up?

What the heck has been up with Petstores lately? Every time I walk into My PetCo they're selling younger and younger females, like literally not even out of fry-hood yet and then they all look like they're starving, the babies are half dead!

And then the Petsmart, all of the poor Betta's there were completely emaciated and I keep seeing other people's rescues of emaciated fish and it's literally heartbreaking. I know Pet store employee's are busy most of the time, but feeding your fish should a number one priority. Yeah, yeah, I know the Betta's are on the bottom of the line but every other day 2-3 pellets isn't going to cut it and these poor fish are dying. I saw one that had severe dropsy, he was going to go any minute and it was just super sad.

I asked the lady there how often they fed them and she goes "Oh about 2-3 pellets every other day, don't worry we're not over feeding them," I seriously wanted to say "Does this fish even look fat to you? Does he need a diet? You can see his darn bones he's so skinny!" And then they refused to give me a discount on him so I politely put him back and the conditioner I was going to get and walked out of the store.

I'm debating if I should go back to see how they are doing, that was last Sunday it happened. I do have a 1 gallon tank that I can use for medical purposes and then ship a fish out if anyone wanted them. But I almost want to just save for a true rescue, one that really needs my help, but then I'm struggling because emaciated fish need my help too ><

I wonder if I can bring a little thing of NLS with me and pop a few into the cups of the most emaciated fish...they probably wouldn't even notice me sitting there either. Sigh

Anyway /rant
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #2 
Haleigh

I feel your pain! The workers at my local PetSmart know me because I'm in there quite frequently. I just love looking at the bettas. I also noticed the other day just how tiny the females were. I mean, they were itsy bitsy. You said my new guy Catullus is probably three months, those girls had to be a month maybe two.

I've also been seeing dead fish lately, which I don't recall seeing in the past. It's quite sad, as I have to point the fish out to the workers. Do they not even stop by to check on them from time to time!?
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #3 
logisticsguy

I agree lilnaugrim. It is almost ridiculous how young they are being sold. Do they ever feed these young fish? Some of them are skin and bones. Also wonder if they are educating the new betta owner on how to care and feed these youngsters or if they even know themselves. They are tiny because they have been underfed for some time. A young fry so skinny can be very susceptible to bacterial infections ect due to a weakened immune system.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #4 
Sweetea

It's disappointing and sad to see...I was at Petsmart last week. Usually they're okay with their fish. Half of the bettas are kept in a nice rack, but the other half (non-VTs and females) are kept underneath the plants, right on the last bottom two shelves. I found two in the back, dead. I gave the cups a small shake and got this icky gray cloud coming out of them. Clearly no one checked up on them for at least a day or two... s:
Sweetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #5 
whatsupyall

Sneak feeding lol. Careful they might think u poisoning the fisb lol.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #6 
Mar

LOL at the sneak feeding.

Want to try that, but really don't want to get banned or something if I get caught. Next time I go in, I'll ask the manager or something if I can, and hopefully they'll let me. I'll let you know!

And yeah, usually they take good care of their fish at my PetSmart, but there is the odd fish that's extremely skinny and definitely malnourished.

Especially baby bettas, I'm guessing they don't know how or what to feed them, if at all, because they can be kinda tricky to feed. I bet after a while, they just stopped trying, and waited for them to die.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah! Totally crazy, it must be this time of year!

Like my PetCo is normally really good at their Betta care but for some reason the past few weeks they've just been so malnurished and I know we're not the only ones as I had stated before, I've seen people on here with rescues, like yours Mar who are just completely emaciated it really does break my heart.

I know the PetCo isn't short on employee's either so like...is it strike against the Betta's month or something and I didn't know about it? lol

The Petsmart on the other hand is the one that's worse, normally those ones are dying and they are a bit understaffed. But normally they're fed just fine but all of these are emaciated. I can't beginning to think that they came in this way, I feel like the breeders would totally know better but I know there's many who don't. But I also know they've got contracts and stuff like that so I know they don't just take any old breeder but.....idk, i really don't know!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #8 
Mar

Yeah, I'll look at the tiny betta and try to feed it, and all I notice is how skinny she is. It's honestly crazy. I spend like 10 minutes chasing her around the tank with tweezers, hoping that she'll eat the frozen food. She'll approach it, nibble, and swim away, it's so frustrating!
I can understand why she was underfed, but they really should've tried more. Like, how can you just leave a tiny thing like that to die. When I first saw her in her cup, I was shocked. To me, it's almost the equivalent of leaving a starving puppy/kitten out in the rain.

ugh, it's just so annoying!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Yeah, I'll look at the tiny betta and try to feed it, and all I notice is how skinny she is. It's honestly crazy. I spend like 10 minutes chasing her around the tank with tweezers, hoping that she'll eat the frozen food. She'll approach it, nibble, and swim away, it's so frustrating!
I can understand why she was underfed, but they really should've tried more. Like, how can you just leave a tiny thing like that to die. When I first saw her in her cup, I was shocked. To me, it's almost the equivalent of leaving a starving puppy/kitten out in the rain.

ugh, it's just so annoying!
Very much so! I feel like I've just kicked a puppy when I look at them! It's horrible and sad