Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #1 
veganchick

Help my betta!!!!!!!!!! Urgent

okay, so my betta was perfectly fine this morning, I needed to clean his 3 gallon tank so I put about 4/5 a gallon of water (from the tank he was in) in the little gallon tank where he waits when I clean his tank. I hadn't cleaned his tank in a few weeks so I did a 50% change and vacumed the gravel. I put in water conditioner in and waited about 30 minutes before I put alfred back in hi tank. I didn't check the tempurature of his little 1g where he was waiteing, and it was about 5 degrees colder than his normal tank. I picked him up in the net which I don't usaully do, and put him back into his tank, Its been about 3 hours and 45 minutes and alfred is lying at the bottom of the tank in his cave, not moving, one of his gills is slightly inflamed.... I don't know what to do! I put a pinch of aquarium salt in his tank to see if that helped, but it did nothing. PLEASE HELP!!!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #2 
Cody

We need to know more.

Water parameters?
Temperature of tank?

Taking your betta out of the tank is very, very stressful for them. The salt is no good either.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Did you remember to put dechlorinator in the water?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #4 
veganchick

Cody, he never really minds, I do once a week for water changes, I just don't use a net. The tank temp. is 78 degrees, what it always is. pH- 7.3 I put in dechlorinator. I got him to get up and swim around. His fins are clamped still, and he is back at the bottom of the tank in his cave again. I forgot to tell you he just reccovered from various diseases. (He was the only fish out of over 100 that survived a crueal science experiment, and they were going to flush him down the toilet cuz knowone wanted him. Thats y I took him, and he was in a terrible position!) His gill isn't inflamed anmore, but hes hardly able to breath, Do you have any advice on how to help that?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #5 
Cody

You didn't give us all your parameters...

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
any others such as alk, etc.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

He may have been just a little stressed from the water change. Like Cody said, check water params to make sure everything is ok. Poor little thing. I'm glad you saved him from being flushed! I've taken several that no one wanted or couldn't take care of. I hope he gets to feeling better. :)
Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #7 
veganchick

thanks, dramaqueen! Everthing seems in check, but he is still gasping for air. :( I think when I got out to get some plants for my larger tank, I will go ahead in get him some airstones, I don't think they will help much right now, but in the future they might, This little guy has such a bad immune system! sad little betta buddy! Alfred has an amazing personality tho! I'll keep an eye on him.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sometimes they just seem to never get over the mistreatment even when they are taken by someone who takes good care of them .My rescue betta has swimbladder problems off and on as a result of his mistreatment.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #9 
Cody

I'm just going to take a guess that you don't have a water testing kit?

Not to sound rude, but you basically avoided my last post.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #10 
veganchick

Nope, I do!
Ammonia-none
Nitrate-8.5
Nitrite-none
pH-7.3
Hardness-7.0
Chlorine/Chloramine-none
Copper-none

Happy?