Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #11 
Kiara1125

For one, kuhlis are recommended to have groups, they don't NEED to be in groups. My one kuhli in the 40gB is doing great being alone. Been like that for 8 years and outlived the group. Also, the OP is looking for scavengers, not algae eaters. Merited only eat algae.

I buy my pots at Walmart and such. They range from under a dollar to a few dollars depending on the size. They have to have never had plants in them and they MUST be pure terra cotta without a glaze.

Also, as for the stocking, it should be fine. Kuhlis have a very low bioload and I believe would fit perfectly in that tank. The 1" per gallon isn't really used anymore. There's more that goes into it, such as the bioload. You can have a 4" pleco in a 5g. That would work for the rule of thumb, but the bioload would label the tank as too small. See what I mean? Kuhlis stay pretty small and they have a low bioload. They're excellent scavengers and are extremely fun to watch. I would highly recommend them for your tank. Also, is your divider completely down to the bottom of the tank? Because, if its not, then the kuhlis can dig underneath it. I'm not saying that they will, I'm just saying that they can technically have 10g instead of 5g. lol
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #12 
redcharizard

alright thanks guys for your input !!!

my divider is all the way down and glued on all sides touching glass i had too many accidents in 2.5 betta bowl so i made as secure as possible and i put a jump discourgement canvas at the top

and im looking for something to help clean up sunken food i guess i need to reconsider my mystery snail i didnt check if they ate sunken food
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #13 
Kiara1125

Welcome! The mystery snails are scavengers, but they have a large bioload, as do all big snails do. Mystery snails get HUGE. lol

Anyways, wow about the divider. I had one jump incident which resulted in near death injuries. I healed them up and kept them away from each other. Also, I leave the water level down an inch below the divider.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #14 
redcharizard

the snail is small right now but big enough that the betta leaves him alone (so far)
man that must have been frustrating to have them fight that bad
in my case they just tore fins until the last fight when they tore scales out as well it was so frustrating and disappointing
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #15 
Kiara1125

Yep, they took chunks of flesh out of each other in 2 hours. A black orchid CT (Titanium who took the most damage, but is still alive almost 6 months later) and a maroon DTHM (Firefly, who died of dropsy shortly after).

Anyway, mystery snails get really big and will drop down on top of fish if they're hungry enough. Don't overdress yours, but keep it well fed. Look up how big they get. I put one in my palm and it was almost the same size ... lol it was like a golfball.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #16 
redcharizard

that sucks for firefly :(
i havent have them jump

i saw some vids with huge snails like that lol mine is probably the size of a small bouncy/rubber ball or like an inch or inch and a half long
Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #17 
Kiara1125

Yeah, that's how big both of mine got. I'm somewhat debating having one in my community again, but I'm not sure.

Tags
compatability