Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #11 
Cody

It never said anywhere that those were missing...
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #12 
studioskim3

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
What kind of tank did he have? if it was a bowl or vase, there is ur problem.
he was actually in a 2.5 gallon tank by himself w/ some fake silk plants and a lil tiny castle where he liked to sit on or underneath it.... I think maybe it happened b/c at nite, his temp drops about a good 5 degrees (cuz I turn off his lights), and in the mornin (cuz I turn on his lights) it goes up a few degrees. that's my hypothesis... no... I wouldn't put my bettas in a vase/ bowl... I wouldn't want him to live in a small, not- even- a- one gallon- bowl. :)
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #13 
Kim

I'm so sorry to hear about your betta :( It's always hard to loose a fish with so much personality.

You can certainly keep the tank and decorations. All you really need is a small adjustable heater (25 watt stealths are my favorite) and you're good to go. If you have incandescent light bulbs, you should replace them with compact fluorescent ones (they fit in the same fixture) so that you don't cause temp swings with hot bulbs.

I always bleach things. I figure the risk of bleach remaining is much less than leaving bad bacteria or parasites to chance. I'm bad though, I just kind of pour some in (less for mild cleaning and more when dealing with contageous diseases). You could look it up if you like. Just remember that you need to rinse, rinse, RINSE the darn thing until you're so tired of rinsing that you can't rinse anymore! That is probably overkill, but I don't want to take any chances. If you do that you should be good to go.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #14 
studioskim3

do u think if I use boiling water and scrub.... when it cools.... with salt... and then place the tank outside for a few day to let the sun's uv rays kill anything on the tank... then use boiling water (and salt) to clean it again (including my tank, mini heater, and plants)... would this work?
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote