Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #1 
BettaPrincess13

A Few Questions on Betta Fish Care

I couldn't decide whether to put this thread in Betta Care or the section on tank care and I didn't want to have to make two separate threads so I figured I'd ask both here.

my first question is about not being at the house for a couple of days. My family and I are going to be gone for about 5 days. we leave on a friday morning so I would feed him before I leave but then no one will be there to feed him Saturday Sunday and Monday. Anyone who's gone on trips no if It's okay that he doesn't eat until that Tuesday morning? or do I need to buy something that feeds him while I'm gone?

my second question is more tank related it's a dumb question but I wanted to make sure so I don't break anything or harm my fish. my heater has been growing A LOT of algae and its becoming a problem with flakes of algae floating everywhere. do I just unplug it and wipe it off or is there a specific way of getting rid of it? I don't want to get snails just because there maintenance on their own and I don't trust any other living being with my fish fearing he'll kill them when he sees them.

thanks (:
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

He will be fine for 5 days without food. Depending on his tank size you may want to do a good water change right before you leave & as soon as you get back. As for the stuff on the heater, not uncommon, just clean it up when you do a water change.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #3 
BettaPrincess13

ok I'll do that (: thanks (:

and should I just take out the heater and wipe it off? I don't own any type of algae scrubber or any special tool to clean off algae. is there a specific way to clean it or can I just wipe it with a paper towel?
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Yep, take it out & wipe it down with papertowels, that's what I do if I need to.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #5 
Xeek

Might be wise to unplug the heater and wait several minutes before touching the heater.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #6 
Shadyr

Just don't use soap!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote