Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #1 
NeptunesMom

How long would you leave him sitting?

There is a betta at PSmart that has been there since mid May. He seems healthy, but he is a tail biter. He is a double tail, and so all you see are these two tiny shoot coming out. He is white with black spots (Dalmatian) My mom wanted to take on one of my bettas to help me with my overload. But, she refuses to use a heater because of her fear of fire. All of my fish are used to heaters, this one would not be used to a heater... So, I am debating asking her to take on the fish if I set up a 5 g critter keeper tank for him. I know a heater is a requirement not an option, but likely he will either A) die in his cup after more months of sitting there or B) be purchased to die in an unheated bowl. So, I feel like while it's not the care I would prefer, it's better than the care he is getting now and perhaps his future care. As a double tail he is expensive, and without much color and a short bitten off tail... I do not foresee him selling anytime soon.

Ugh, my other option is to bring him home and let him join the pack here. . I already have 6, and that keeps me changing water non-stop all week. And, my snails just had babies in the 10 g with the ADF. So I need to keep changes on that probably going every day to keep the water from being nasty.

Or... final option is do nothing. I mean he doesn't appear unhealthy. He just is not attracting people who do not see his beauty (I personally, think he is gorgeous). He only has a few tiny black spots on him (no loud color), but I see him darkening up and becoming more spectacular with the right care.

Suggestions? Comments? Smacks upside the head for even debating another betta?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #2 
shellieca

I would not bring a Betta home unless I was going to provide him EVERYHTING he needed to be healthy & happy. I would feel guilty knowing I had purchased a Betta for someone who wasn't properly caring for it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #3 
tngirl92

Get him, either for yourself or your mother. If she put him in the warmest room of the house, he would probably be alright. I just did a Walmart rescue when I only have the heating capacity for one fish, but I feel good about my decision. My new one is better off being a little cold with me than a lot cold in a cup at Walmart. You could attach a light to your mom's tank to help with the heating slightly.

My only word of warning would be about the 5g Critter Keeper. They crack and break really easily and unexpectedly because they were never designed to hold all that water. A slightly smaller Critter Keeper may be a safer choice.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl92 View Post
My only word of warning would be about the 5g Critter Keeper. They crack and break really easily and unexpectedly because they were never designed to hold all that water. A slightly smaller Critter Keeper may be a safer choice.
That's good to know. I have a 5 g critter keeper . I keep an eye on it closely. That was the fish she was going to take. His name is Alfie and he was rescued in mid May with an illness. I never figured out what it was, but he is doing great now. We were still disputing the heater though. So I hadn't let her take him yet. I did ask if she'd take the DT at the store, and she said yes.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #5 
tngirl92

Maybe if she talked to a pet store associate about heater safety, she would feel better about heating her tank. Petsmart has had some great sales on tanks lately. We recently purchased a ten gallon kit for under $40 and a 5 gallon kit for about $26. Amazon also has this beauty of a 5 gallon on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarius-Aq150...=5+gallon+tank

Critter Keepers are the cheapest option, but you can sometimes find good deals that are more bang for your buck. Just keep an eye on the ones you have! I check my hospital tank Critter Keeper periodically for damage.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #6 
Riverotter

I'm sure if you could ask the betta if he'd rather be in a teeny cup or in a nice roomy home - with temps much more stable just by virtue of there being more water - and regular, high quality food and some plants to hide in, he'd leap right out of the cup into your pocket.

So bring him home. Unless the whole house has cold AC he'll do very nicely all summer and so you'll have time to work on the heater issue.

Have you ever asked your mom what it is about the heater that makes her more nervous then any other small-watt appliance?
Statistically speaking, aquarium heaters are far safer then nightlights, and WAY safer then those scented plug in thingies!! Word of warning - if you have a scented plug in air freshener, throw it out. Now.
But aquarium heaters are as safe as plugging in an alarm clock.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
I'm sure if you could ask the betta if he'd rather be in a teeny cup or in a nice roomy home - with temps much more stable just by virtue of there being more water - and regular, high quality food and some plants to hide in, he'd leap right out of the cup into your pocket.

So bring him home. Unless the whole house has cold AC he'll do very nicely all summer and so you'll have time to work on the heater issue.

Have you ever asked your mom what it is about the heater that makes her more nervous then any other small-watt appliance?
Statistically speaking, aquarium heaters are far safer then nightlights, and WAY safer then those scented plug in thingies!! Word of warning - if you have a scented plug in air freshener, throw it out. Now.
But aquarium heaters are as safe as plugging in an alarm clock.
She doesn't have anything plugged in when she's not home. She's never even had a house fire, so I don't know why she's so paranoid about it. She even comes over to my house and unplugs mine when I'm working long days. She doesn't even live here, and she comes over to unplug them . She does keep her house between 76-78 in the summer to save on her electric bill. So I don't worry too much about them freezing him out.

I did pick him up. I had to get hay for my guinea pigs, and I just couldn't walk past him again . Unfortunately, I found a dragon scale that I thought was gone long ago. Maybe he was just in the back being treated for something. But, he's still there. He's been there even longer than the new guy I just brought home. And he does looks sick. Ugh. Well... I do have another 2.5 g tank that is empty. I hate working at a pet store (although I love my co-workers, and I do believe our corporate does care about the welfare of their animals), I hate knowing how long they sit there, and I hate watching them die knowing that I could help them.

Pictures to come later of _______ (torn between Hudson and Poe). I am getting his new home ready.

ETA: It's not like we don't sell any of them. Many of them do find homes. But the females, PK and pale colors sit, and sit, and sit, and sit. People want blues and reds.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 06-24-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #8 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl92 View Post
Maybe if she talked to a pet store associate about heater safety, she would feel better about heating her tank. Petsmart has had some great sales on tanks lately. We recently purchased a ten gallon kit for under $40 and a 5 gallon kit for about $26. Amazon also has this beauty of a 5 gallon on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarius-Aq150...=5+gallon+tank

Critter Keepers are the cheapest option, but you can sometimes find good deals that are more bang for your buck. Just keep an eye on the ones you have! I check my hospital tank Critter Keeper periodically for damage.
I actually work there. She won't listen to me about it. She is very paranoid about fires.

I didn't know the 5 g kit was only around $26 right now. I might have to pick one up. I am eyeing the 40 g for $80 because I want a sorority. I have a feeling it will be the first thing I put in my boyfriends new house which we close on on Thursday!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Here are pictures of Hudson (I chose Hudson) exploring his new home. You can't see his spots, they are small enough and faint enough my camera won't pick them up.

Name:  Hudson.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  83.2 KB

You can see how short his little tail is here.

Name:  Hudson 2 .jpg
Views: 101
Size:  77.6 KB

He has Stress Coat + added at double the dosage to encourage tail growth. He's in a 2.5 g at the moment. He doesn't have a heater, but I do have one if he ends up staying with me to put into his tank. He can see Ranger from his tank, and Ranger can see him. So it'll be interesting to see how that works. If necessary I can move him. But, both have plenty of places to hide if they want.