Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #1 
Viva

"My First Sorority" journal

Well I've been excited about setting up my sorority tank but can't yet until i do some cleaning, testing and quarantining. Oh, and A LOT of spending $$$ :( But it's worth it :) So I decided to make a journal to help me not go crazy while I patiently wait.

I originally wanted to turn my split 10 gallon into a sorority tank. However with 2 girls already, and over 100 beauties on Aquabid to choose from, that didn't last long. I chose too many girls I like on Aquabid and therefore needed to get a bigger tank. I searched Craigslist and found a 29 gallon tank with stand, heater, filter and lights. They delivered it to me (they were 40 minutes away!) all for $190. Not THAT great of a deal, but I needed it fast. And I really like the stand. The tank has a lot of scratches on one side of it, but the other side was okay. It had some hardwater staining but I got most of it off. Some at the top I couldn't get off for the life of me but I was using just vinegar and a razor scraper. I could use some stronger acid but when it's wet the cloudiness actually isn't too bad. Here is the pic of the tank which is currently being leak tested. So far, so good. It has been filled for about 12 hours. One of my cats has already jumped up and fell into it sometime this morning. It has a makeshift hood which is just a piece of clear plastic on top, but it isn't quite long enough so it leaves about 4 - 6 inches exposed.

I'll be buying a new hood and the light fixture I have is kind of weird...it is the type that needs to be mounted rather than just sits on top of the hood, don't know know how well that will work out:
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #2 
Mar

Can't wait to see it once you have it all set up!

I reaaallly want a huge tank :(
I'm just staring at all these ads on Kijiji and imagining how many female bettas I could fit in there.

There's a 120 gallon with a stand for only $150 :( Uuugh, I'd make it so pretty.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #3 
Viva

Wow that's a really amazing deal. I don't know if I could manage such a huge tank though lol. My dad had a 29, 55, and 90 gallon all running at the same time when I was younger...I don't know how he did it.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 
Mar

Parents are miracle workers lmao, they raised us! xD

And yeah, decorating the tank with limited supplies would be a paaain. And huge pieces of ornament/driftwood are expensive too :'c
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #5 
Viva

Yeah exactly...I don't know why IT'S JUST WOOD!? Lol. I at least have one small piece and another weird looking piece to put it. I'll take pics of all the ornaments and stuff, although I still want a big piece of slate to put in the middle and angle it diagonally. No idea where I'll get that.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #6 
Mar

Looking forward to the pics :)

And yeah, it's overpriced, but I guess they can justify it. IT takes time for wood to become driftwood, you need waves constantly washing over them, and stuff, :( One day I will walk by a river and find my own driftwood!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #7 
Haleigh

I'll definitely be following this. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when you have the tank set up!
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #8 
Viva

The fish

I have a total of 12 girls coming from Thailand off of Aquabid.com. The cost was crazy but I'm excited to see them. Linda Olson is my transhipper and I've already paid her so I hope my fishies come by Wed or Thurs!!! Here they are:

• From Majcha Farm, the super blue, fancy (who reminds me of a calico cat...her name will be Calico), and super red. The super red I asked for so there wasn't an auction. I also bid on this girl by Majcha but I decided not to get her because I didn't realize her auction ended after the ship date for all the other fish I ordered:

• Then from 3dbetta I got red butterfly halfmoon. I also bid on this girl from 3dbetta and won, but sadly she died before being shipped :( R.I.P. little cutie.

Total cost for fish plus total shipping was: $354.40

I hope they all make the trip and I am eager to see what they look like in person!!!

Last edited by Viva; 06-24-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #9 
Viva

Also will be adding the two girls I have now whom I've had since December 2012/January 2013. Got them as wittle babies from Petco. Prize the blue VT and Spark the red/green/black delta tail (I think..I'm not very good at judging female's tails).

So I have a total of 14 girls. I might add a DT or a CT somewhere down the line since I don't have any. I was more concerned with colors and having a variety of them. I also will probably add my 4 bronze corydora catfish to the tank. There will be 10 Malaysian trumpet snails and 2 olive nerites as well. Maybe some Amano shrimp down the line if I get some algae issues.

Last edited by Viva; 06-24-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #10 
Viva

According to AqAdvisor my stocking level is at exactly 100% without the Amano shrimp. This doesn't take into account live plants though. Heres my results:

Note: Betta [Female] can still become aggressive even if she doesn't show aggression right away. Not recommended to be mixed with peaceful community species. Also, they may jump - lids are recommended.
Warning: Betta [Female] is not recommended to be with Malaysian Trumpet Snail - baby snails will likely to become food.

Recommended temperature range: 75.2 - 80.6 F. [Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 10 - 15 dH

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 182%.
Recommended water change schedule: 30% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 100%