Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #101 
Huffle Puffles

Awww, the baby DT is so cute! I love the mix of colors and the red glowy ring around the eye. The girls are adorable as ever in their little group shot! Glad that Paradise is okay!
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #102 
Viva

So I've been busy with work and things...left my job of 7 years to pursue a new career with my Computer Science degree. Today is day 4 of my new job as a Technical Support Engineer and it's already getting really boring...although right now I'm not actually working any cases because I need to read up on the documentation and crap. Working outside with people all day like I did at my other job at the petting zoo definitely keeps you awake. Sitting in front of a monitor reading code and documentation puts me to sleep. Don't ask me why I decided to stick with C.S. in college but I did.

Anyways just an update:

The baby DT girl is doing great, she's getting bigger every day! Her fins are really starting to grow out now, too.

Prize, my first baby betta that I got in Dec 2012 got a case of fin rot. I noticed one day I couldn't find her in the tank so I panicked (last time I couldn't find one of my girls she was stuck in a Mopani driftwood and died). I found her huddled in the back-right corner of the tank not moving much at all. She had major stress stripes and wouldn't even come up to the surface of the water at feeding time. I removed her from the tank about a week later into a KK with some AQ salt. She seems to be doing a lot better now. She has been a very stressed fish since she first joined the sorority. She lived alone for about 5 months before joining the sorority in a split 5.5 gallon tank so I think I will set up my extra 10 gallon tank and split it so she can live there permanently. I just don't think she can handle the sorority life without becoming too stressed and I don't want any illness outbreaks in there that's for sure.

Spark, the second baby I got in Jan 2013, has a weird fuzzy white growth on the side of her head but it seems to be slowly fading away. It isn't getting any worse I know that.

A strange thing I've noticed about Apple, my super red girl, is that her color is starting to slowly fade. She used to be bright, bright red all over but now her body is a lot paler-looking. None of the other fish seem to have any paler pigment, just her. Is this normal? I wish I could get pics but I'm at work right now and I've been so busy I haven't taken pics of my girls in about a month or so.

I did manage to get pics of my new CT "girl" that I got with the baby DT. You know, the purple/red one? I'm pretty sure "she" is actually a "he" because I cannot see an ovipositor on "her" and "her" fins are much longer than most females I've seen (it's especially noticeable in "her" ventral fins). I had her in the sorority tank for about a week and she's completely calm in there. Last night when it dawned on me that it looks like a male I immediately cupped him and he's now floating in there. I will post pics later and maybe start a new thread somewhere to get advice on it's sex. Maybe today I will see how he reacts to another male so I can get a better idea.

Cleo, the solid copper girl, is still looking very scraggly and has missing scales. I have no idea why everyone picks on her. I think her and Prize will live in the split 10 gallon tank as soon as I set it up. I could split it three ways and house the CT male (at least I think it's male), Prize and Cleo.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #103 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Paling in color although not stressed seems to be pretty common in red fish. I think it has something to do with the layer's of their scales since colors are layered on. I find that my girl Cherry also looks the same where her head and fins look nice vibrant red but her body looks almost orangish really. I'll see if I can get some pics. But I know she's not stressed out, so I think it's just a thing.

This is how she normally looks:

And then other times she looks like this (red in the top left corner if you couldn't figure it out lol)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #104 
Viva

Sadly, whether it was from PH swings due to water changes and IAL, or from the filter in my tank constantly malfunctioning (that's what I get for buying second-hand supplies off Craigslist) a dreaded columnaris outbreak has occurred. I know it wasn't from lack of cleaning, I changed the water at least once a week or more, at least 30 - 50% of it each time. It could be the lack of cover in the tank so I ordered more plants and driftwood to fill more space. Strangely the three Amano shrimp, the snails and all four Corydoras seem totally unaffected by this outbreak...go figure. I see how the bettas could be at more of a risk because they are stressed from each other being chased and nipped at. So far it's been about 2 weeks since the disease has really taken off.

It all started with Prize, my first female betta and my first baby betta. She was known to hate the sorority life and so I was planning on removing her from the tank as soon as I got another tank up and running, but one day I couldn't find her in the tank. I know it's a red flag when I see all the other females greeting me to be fed and just one girl is missing. She was hiding in the bottom, back corner of the tank, which is hard to see because of the tannins in the water. She was lethargic, clamped and didn't want to eat. I kept her in there a few days to see if she would improve, but her fins continued to deteriorate so I removed her and put her in a KK where I treated her for fin rot with AQ salt. She has not been back in the sorority tank since. She has been in her KK recovering well with no other symptoms. She may not have had columnaris at all, actually.

It was a few weeks later (about 2 weeks ago) when I started to see what looked like small, white scales on Cleopatra and Spark. I thought that they were just damaged/healing scales from a fight so I didn't think to worry much more. Then I noticed Halloween, my gorgeous dragonscale fancy, was just sitting at the bottom of the tank. When I saw her finally start to swim she struggled to keep with her back-end up, almost as if her back was broken near the end and her tail was just hanging there. I put her in a cup to QT her and to make it easier for her to get air from the surface. The next day I noticed that Nefi and many others had blotches on them. I noticed Calico had a large bump on her mouth and then the next day, her lip was gone. She didn't eat for about a week before I finally got her to eat some smaller pellets I had. Big Blue started to get clamped and a bit of white mouth, her fins deteriorated up quickly and she sadly died within 2 days of me noticing her ailments. Snow, my platinum white HMPK died mysteriously without showing much and any symptoms. It was very sad. All the while I was treating with Kanaplex, I added salt to the tank but only at 1.5 tsp/gallon for 4 days because I have a planted tank. Almost all the cabomba died off and the Pennywort suffered a little bit, but all the other plants were fine. The Corydoras and snails were fine too. I also found an article about a medicated bath to give infected fishes for 30 minutes daily, but I did it just every other day: 3 teaspoons/gallon AQ salt, double dose kanaplex and/or Furan-2, double dose Methylene Blue (0.20 tsp/gallon or ~1.0mL/gallon). Bathe for no more than 30 minutes. From the article:

Quote:
"The Bottom line is a Fish Bath and maybe a swab too is a MUST part of any moderate to serious Columnaris infection treatment!

With Methylene Blue or Potassium Permanganate I prepare a double strength bath and place the fish in this solution for 30 minutes).
I strongly recommend this bath as a FIRST course of action.
Furan Two and/or Kanamycin SHOULD be added to this 20-30 minute bath for more serious or stubborn cases, HOWEVER do not combine these medications or any others with Potassium Permanganate, ONLY Methylene Blue can be combined."

The Kanaplex itself did not cure the disease although I believe it did prevent it from spreading any quicker. The same article I read about the medicated baths says to mix Kanaplex with Furan-2 as this is the ONLY way to cure it:

Quote:
"By using broad-spectrum treatments such as a Furan Two & Kanamycin COMBINATION against diseases with similar symptoms affecting fish, precise identification of specific bacterial or fungal pathogens causing the disease that often display similar symptoms may not be absolutely necessary.
Please note that the combination of BOTH Kanamycin AND Nitrofurazone MUST be used for effect against true flavobacterium columnare infections, otherwise the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) values of these medications individually is too low."
Here is the article: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/columnaris.html
The Furan-2 and Kanaplex combination started Saturday, and with 4 total doses of Furan-2, should end tomorrow if everything seems better.

On top of the baths and kanaplex/furan-2 added with 75% water changes every day to every other day, I've also been feeding frozen bloodworms medicated with Kanaplex once per day.

So far, with 2 deaths, the disease seems to be coming under control since I've started combining the Kanaplex with Furan-2. I just wish I had the Furan-2 on hand to start with, and that I didn't have to wait for it to be delivered which took over a week :( And of course they don't sell barely any fish meds in stores anymore because they assume people buy them and abuse them by using them on themselves..at least that's what the fish guy told me at Petco. Like yeah...all these people seeking a high are going to go out and buy ANTIBIOTICS...the hell? It makes no real sense to me.

Halloween is still unable to swim properly, but I am hoping that she will recover, she is still eating like crazy. The white growths on her head and face are disappearing. My yellow girl seems to have no outward symptoms, but Saturday I noticed her starting to pinecone a little bit which got me very scared. That was before I started the Furan-2 treatment, but she still seems a bit pineconed even today. She's definitely bloated but I've isolated her in a cup with some Epsom salt so hopefully nothing too bad has happened internally yet and she can make a turn-around :( Calico is still missing the entire upper portion of her mouth but she is somehow able to eat small pellets. She won't eat any medicated frozen foods (brine shrimp OR blood worms)...she actually panics when she sees the food coming at her and will swim frantically away from it...it's weird. The small pellets she devours though!

So that's whats been happening at my house lately. The other tanks and fish are totally unaffected by this outbreak thankfully.

R.I.P. Big Blue and Snow <3

Last edited by Viva; 10-21-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #105 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Welcome back Viva and I'm so sorry to hear I hope you don't have whatever it is that my tank has!! I'm still unsure if it is an anti-biotic resistant form of columnaris or something else but either way my Ram's are fine and my girl's are just deteriorating and going quickly. Here are most of the pictures of the girls and our discussion about them if you want to compare: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=262458

And just a note, you can actually use fish antibiotics as a regular antibiotic, usually mixed in with some water and just consumed. It is safe and there was a bunch of research on it that I was looking at a while ago when researching medications. But still, that is a very stupid reason to not sell medications, even the simple ones; I consider Furan-2, all the Maracyn's and some other's to be pretty basic.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #106 
Viva

I just saw read through your journal from where I last left off, so sad to hear Cherry passed away :( I know she was one of your favorites. I really hope this isn't a strain resistant to antibiotics :( It seems to be going away since the Furan-2 treatment started, though. I am starting to think Calico will pull through, she is active and has gained a lot more color over the last couple days. I thought she would die because she wouldn't eat for over a week, but I got her to start eating again which is a relief. Halloween I still don't know if she has some sort of internal injury that is causing her swimming problem or if she was really actually somehow injured...she is the only one with this symptom and it happened seemingly overnight.

I know humans can use the fish antibiotics for themselves, but why do they have to be so overly concerned!? You can get everything online anyways!!! And it's not like some overly-abused drug like painkillers/opiates. Gaaaaaaah, oh well.

Anyways wish me and the girls luck, I wish you guys the best of luck! I heard your going to go through with a necropsy for one of your fish Mystique if she doesn't pull through...I'll definitely be following your thread to learn more.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #107 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I'll be doing a necropsy on someone at some point, don't care on who though at this point.

I am wishing you and your girls all the luck! I'd hate for anyone else to have to go what my girls are, it's never fun. I hope the Furan works for you!!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #108 
Viva

Thank you!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #109 
Viva

Gah, so no more fatalities but the illness is NOT going away. I've run out of Kanaplex, so now I'm just dosing Furan 2. I did a medicated bath last night and almost ALL the girls had negative effects from it...at least it seemed. Then I read that methylene blue should be added at least 30 minutes after adding seachem prime or stress coat...and I had just done a water change and used that water for the bath sooooo maybe that had something to do with it :(

Lemondrop is still pineconed and small, red lesions have appeared on her side. Her and some other of the fish's poops look very strange...like brown dusty leaf-litter looking stuff. It's probably due to internal damage of organs...most likely their kidneys. I have lemon-drop in a 2 gallon hospital tank with 3 tsp/gal epsom salt. All the fish are still wanting to eat and still NONE of the corydoras have been afflicted. Snails and shrimp are okay still too. Now, Apple, who had no symptoms at all, is showing symptoms and going downhill fast. Also, last night I realied the temperature of my tank is at 72 F! THE HEATER IS TOTALLY NOT WORKING AT ALL! So I had to order a new heater last night and now wait for it to be delivered which will be at least 7 - 10 days from now! Just in time for the cold weather, OF COURSE :( That could be most of the reason why my fish seem a lot more sluggish now...this BLOWS!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #110 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm so sorry Viva Any pictures on them?