Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #131 
annyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Hi Anny. Unfortunately no improvements to the sickest of the girls, and I had to euthanize Calico :( I've never even thought about purposely killing an animal before, besides maybe the occasional fly when I worked at the farm, so it was probably one of the hardest things I've had to do in a while. I was literally shaking before I did it, and on the verge of tears, it was horrible :( I chose to slowly reduce the temperature of her water with ice cubes over about 30 minutes until she went unconscious and finally passed. She had started to pinecone and the top of her back was literally being eaten away by bacteria....you could see the flesh underneath her scales =/ The same thing is happening with Blossom, one of my EE girls. She had developed a fungus on her dorsal fin that quickly grew over a day or two, but after today's salt & M.B. bath the white fuzz was gone and an open wound was there. I would have done the bath yesterday but I wanted to give the girls a break from the constant 30 minute baths every other day...now I wish I had done it. The sickest of the girls are Halloween...I may need to euthanize her also...but she is still eating like a pig and has no open wounds or fungus...just a weird bent body and struggling to swim and fin deterioration so idk; Diva who still has a swollen belly and just floats at the surface...she also has a bent spine when floating there like in the above pics; Nefi who has the bad fin deterioration and weird blotches all over her body; and now Blossom with the huge open sore on her dorsal fin that's basically eating away at her slowly...I will have to euthanize her if it gets worse but so far she is swimming around normally but not eating. I have all 4 of these girls separated in a 3 gallon KK with 1.5 tsp/gal salt and started up double dosage of Kanaplex and mixed normal dosage of Furan-2.

In the main tank I added a little less than double dosage of Kanaplex and normal dose Furan-2. The girls in here haven't improved but also haven't gotten any worse which is why I'm keeping the other girls isolated. At this point I think I'm fighting off different strains of bacteria, fungi and maybe even parasites due to the girls' ailing immune systems.

In lighter news the plants are doing pretty well although my Brazilian Pennywort isn't growing as fast as I think it should be and I dose Seachem Excel every other day and use Trace and Comprehensive 2x per week.
Oh no! Im so sorry about Calico and you had to go through that. I hope the rest of your girls will make a turn around. Your doing everything you can do for them and, i'm sure some of your girls will pull through this.
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #132 
Janan

Love, love, love the jumping stories! Praying your girls get well. I started my sorority right after you, so I can only imagine your despair.
Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #133 
BettaLover1313

The jumping stories are hilarious! I do hope your girls get better!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #134 
Viva

Came home to Blossom's lifeless body and to Sprite, who was in the main tank and my only CT girl, with an ulcer and white fuzzy stuff growing in between her pelvic fins =/ Her scales are also raised, and pretty much her entire anal fin is gone :( Idk what I'm doing wrong. Did another bath with all the girls and applied some hydrogen peroxide to Nefi's weird blotchy spots on her body to see if that does anything. Also added some general cure to the hospital tank because Diva is still very bloated and I haven't treated for parasites yet. Also, there's really nothing to lose at this point. I've lost basically half my sorority =/ I have Maracyn II and I've heard that may fight it off but I'm so burnt out with water changes and dosing meds and doing medicated baths every day that it's kind of just P***ing me off at this point.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #135 
PetMania

I'm so sorry!!! I don't think it's anything YOU did, but these things tend to happen with sororities.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #136 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I hear you Viva
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #137 
annyann

That's so awful. Im so sorry.
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #138 
Janan