Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #1 
Stalker401

stocking a 10gal tank

I have a 10 gal tank, which had gold fish in it before (my gf and her son won at a fair, which is the only reason I bought the tank). However, I have transferred the gold fish to a pond, and am looking to do something with more color. Here's the set up. I have a 10 gal tank, 4 small decorations (pirate skull, pirate ship, princess castle, and princess sign I have a daughter w/ my gf and her son from her ex). 3 of the 4 decorations fish can swim into, and they are all smaller decorations. I have cleaned the entire tank, recleaned the stones and decorations; since goldfish are dirty. I also got a new filter (the other one didn't hang right) and a heater. So I have put new water in and i'm waiting 24 - 48 hours to test the water and get ready to put a couple fish in. I was thinking of putting a beta in as my "show" fish, but I was also hoping to have another 2"ish "show" fish in the tank w/ about 4-6 neon tetras. I know most betas work with neon tetras. Any suggestions for another show fish. I know he cant be as coloful as a beta and most likely will have to be another tetra to school with the neons. I was thinking a red-blue tetra. Any thoughts on that, or any other ideas?
Stalker401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #2 
taralovesanimals

Maybe a black neon tetra
taralovesanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #3 
taralovesanimals

Or harlequin rasbora
Old 06-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #4 
taralovesanimals

But i personally think that the betta should be the show fish and some black neon tetras or harlequin rasboras should just be the ones who make the tank look livelier
Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #5 
Rilly10

If you cleaned everything and added a new filter I would ONLY have the betta in there until the tank is cycled. Get some Tetra Safestart and a test kit if you don't already have them. Follow the guides for cycling, then add the other fish only after it is cycled. Neon tetras will not make it though the cycling process.
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #6 
Aquacrazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilly10 View Post
If you cleaned everything and added a new filter I would ONLY have the betta in there until the tank is cycled. Get some Tetra Safestart and a test kit if you don't already have them. Follow the guides for cycling, then add the other fish only after it is cycled. Neon tetras will not make it though the cycling process.
+1

You should be *ok* cycling your tank with your betta, just make sure to add water conditioner at least a few hours before you add him in.

As for neon's, they usually get along with bettas however there is a chance you might end up with a nipper or two that will nip your betta's fins. I would recommend fish like pygmy cories, oto's for that tank. Not only will they get along with your betta, they will also have a practical role in the tank - cories clean up the leftovers etc. at the bottom and oto's are great algae cleaners.

Also it's better to put in the other fish first before you put the betta in. Betta's are territorial and they will claim the tank as their territory and be more aggressive to the other fish you put in after.
Aquacrazed is offline   Reply With Quote