Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #1 
Iorek

Thai way breeding-when to seperate female

I introduced my male and female in 10g bucket. after two days, I saw that female is always staying in the spot not swimmimng and male is not going anywhere and just stays under the nest, so I seperated the female.

My question is how can I understand that they breeded and laid eggs. It's bucket cant watch from sideways.
Iorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #2 
whatsupyall

Dear Iorek,

Usually you want to use a small foam/something piece so the nest is spread outside of the foam where you can see the eggs. You will see white dots instead of clear bubbles. Another technique you can use is a mirror. Simply just dip it in the water to see the nest(must angle it correctly and gently). Another method in the future that you can use is bubble wrap packaging supply. I've also heard people poke the nest to see if eggs fall, but I don't recommend that as some nest are fragile and can give a dominoes effect lol. Good luck to you Iorek.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #3 
Iorek

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupyall View Post
Dear Iorek,

Usually you want to use a small foam/something piece so the nest is spread outside of the foam where you can see the eggs. You will see white dots instead of clear bubbles. Another technique you can use is a mirror. Simply just dip it in the water to see the nest(must angle it correctly and gently). Another method in the future that you can use is bubble wrap packaging supply. I've also heard people poke the nest to see if eggs fall, but I don't recommend that as some nest are fragile and can give a dominoes effect lol. Good luck to you Iorek.
ah so I have to wait 3-4 days to see if they hatch or not hehe :)

I removed my pair from bucket lets see what happens in few days.

I know removing male is not recommended but, in few videos people suggest that removing male is better for more fry rates, so that's why I removed my pair :)
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorek View Post
ah so I have to wait 3-4 days to see if they hatch or not hehe :)

I removed my pair from bucket lets see what happens in few days.

I know removing male is not recommended but, in few videos people suggest that removing male is better for more fry rates, so that's why I removed my pair :)
Sorry to sound negative, but be prepared to be disappointed. removing the male will most often produce less fry because the eggs may fungus.

For future breeding : The easiest method for egg/fry control is by using NO floating what ever. Instead cover the top of the nesting area (where you want the nest). If only that area is covered, the male will definitely nest there
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #5 
Iorek

ahh it's okay, there are just random petshop pairs :) I rescued them and learning how to breed :) Trying to figure out best ways that works for me :)

btw, what you mean by covering the top of the nesting are? You mean covering the bucket?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes.
If you need to cover all for humidity, use clear plastic for the whole bucket but then add something dark ( like a cardboard) for the nest area (1/3 - 1/2 of bucket). When you want to see eggs/fry, simply lift it. It shouldn't disturb the male too much (if there were one).

Be careful towards "the best breeder in the world" in youtube. . . . just take his info with a grain of salt and use your common sense.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #7 
Iorek

pehh, removing male is a disaster :) Accidently touched the nest with mirror while I was trying to see the eggs, and boom like a domino boom boom boom, all eggs fall off :(

there were no male to put them back :(
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #8 
whatsupyall

See I told you to be careful! Lol.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #9 
Iorek

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupyall View Post
See I told you to be careful! Lol.
one of the worst moment I can ever had, a full of nest popped off and I was like stop stop stop stop stop ohh damn...

culled whole batch lol :=)
Old 06-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #10 
Myates

Accidents happen and at some point a breeder will make a mistake and it harms the spawn. But it happens.. my biggest mistake was when I went to take out the filter of a grow out tank, but my pleco was in the tube as he loves the bubbles.. I tipped the filter (was taking it out to clean it) to get the pleco out but instead all the dead food that had been sucked up came out of the filter and into the tank.

Major water change that day and the next but quite a few of the juvies had become ill (they most likely thought it was food to eat and between the water becoming dirty and the dirty food they were trying to eat they got ill).
Ended up having to remove them all (this was a 550+ spawn size) and place them in a 10g with AQ salt and lots of water changes.. lost about 40 of them from it.. was able to save the rest that were in the tank. They would be straight up/down at the surface of the water, not swimming.. luckily I only lost that many, but could easily of been worse. So now I'm really careful when removing the filter and I just wait for the pleco to move itself before going in there lol

Oh, and made the same mistake the same day on another grow out and had them in a hospital tank. But that filter I accidentally dropped in the tank rather than tip it. Just sucked it was the same day >.<
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote