Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #1 
Bailmint

Help with water conditioner!

So from someone's suggestion for water conditioner for my betta, I went out and got some. Pic:

I wanted to know how much to put in and how often.
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #2 
hopeful fish

doesn't it say on the bottle? Try reading the back :)
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I actually suggest using SeaChem's Prime, a little more expensive but one of the best ones out there and you only use one drop per gallon. It should say on the back and usually like 1ml per gallon or something like that
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #4 
Bailmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful fish View Post
doesn't it say on the bottle? Try reading the back :)
I feel so stupid now XD
Old 06-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #5 
Bailmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I actually suggest using SeaChem's Prime, a little more expensive but one of the best ones out there and you only use one drop per gallon. It should say on the back and usually like 1ml per gallon or something like that
Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #6 
hopeful fish

np. Sometimes we all have brain-farts...
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Top Fin is a fine water conditioner if your water parameters are fine. If you have ammonia in your water you'd want to use something like Prime, but if you don't it can make your fish sick. I've read a lot of cases of fish getting sick from Prime, because their water parameters were already 0 ammonia. I have Prime, just in case my periodic tap water tests come back with ammonia, but I've never had to use it.

I used to use Top Fin, but switched to Stress Coat once I started "rescuing" fish because it is a water conditioner and therapeutic additive all in one. It's been really nice for my fin biters.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #8 
teckx

i am using topfin as well.. i noticed my fish is either developing finrot on one of his fins or he scraped it on one of the plants.. ive removed the plant and did a complete water change yesterday.. its sad to see beccause it looks like he struggles to swim to the top for feeding.

its the ventral/pelvin fin

any advice please?
teckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckx View Post
i am using topfin as well.. i noticed my fish is either developing finrot on one of his fins or he scraped it on one of the plants.. ive removed the plant and did a complete water change yesterday.. its sad to see beccause it looks like he struggles to swim to the top for feeding.

its the ventral/pelvin fin

any advice please?
Fin rot is usually a result of poor water maintenance. Clean, warm water is the best for mild cases. A little more progressed case you can use 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. A severe case you would need to medicate. If you can pick up some Stress Coat + it is great for encouraging the growth of healthy new fin. I would try warm, clean water with Stress Coat + (Stress Coat is a water conditioner in itself so no need for the Top Fin too). If you notice it getting worse, add the salt (but no more than 14 days of treatment). If it doesn't get better, or gets worse then post on the disease forum and people can recommend medications.

Also, check out OFL's water change recommendations for the size and type of tank you have.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #10 
teckx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Fin rot is usually a result of poor water maintenance. Clean, warm water is the best for mild cases. A little more progressed case you can use 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. A severe case you would need to medicate. If you can pick up some Stress Coat + it is great for encouraging the growth of healthy new fin. I would try warm, clean water with Stress Coat + (Stress Coat is a water conditioner in itself so no need for the Top Fin too). If you notice it getting worse, add the salt (but no more than 14 days of treatment). If it doesn't get better, or gets worse then post on the disease forum and people can recommend medications.

Also, check out OFL's water change recommendations for the size and type of tank you have.
thank you! im on it
teckx is offline   Reply With Quote