Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Starting a PetCo Baby Betta Care Thread

Hey all, so I had been given the bright idea to start a Baby Care Thread since those poor PetCo babies are becoming so popular and I see threads about them everywhere. So why not have a sticky about it?

I'm currently in the process of writing the skeleton and soon will flesh out with the real info. What I want from you guys is suggestions on what you want to see in the thread. Right now I've got water changes, Feeding Times and What To feed.

Feel free to put any suggestions here, I'd mostly like to see what kinds of foods to offer. I know about the NLS Grow Formula and obviously crushing flakes/pellets and then egg yolks at the last resort. But what I don't know much about is live foods and frozen foods so any info on that would be much appreciated.

I'll also take suggestions on what else to put in there, I do want to include a bit about genders and that awesome fry growth cart that's floating around the interwebs. Definitely including the part about the ovipositer and the imitator ovipositer but feel free to write anything and everything!

Thanks all!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #2 
Mar

yes!!

For frozen foods, my baby betta seems to ignore the bloodworms which is crazy since the rest of my bettas go crazy about it. Maybe it's too big for her. She really enjoys the daphnia, brine shrimp, and tubifex though! If the betta is a bit hesitant to eat the food, try wiggling it around a bit, she may gain interest, believing it to be alive. That's just what worked for me xD

Also, it would be really cool to see a before and after post every now and then, like people whose baby bettas have grown up. I'm always looking for those lmao, to compare mine to, and adore theirs.

Thanks for making the thread!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks Mar! I'll be certain to add that! I'll see if I can get some before and after pictures as well, I know there's plenty of people on here who has them! I'll have to hunt them down haha
Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #4 
Lights106

Zorro wont eat frozen bloodworms! He only eats crushed up Omega One pellets. Baby Sr. however would eat anything that was in front of her face.

Mar I would too love to see before and after pics. Zorro is starting to look like a big boy now! I love it!
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #5 
AltheaGlyndwr

One thing I would really like to see answered is at what age can a youngster be added for a fish-in cycle. How to manage those water changes if they are different and so on. Because not everyone is going to have a cycled tank when they bring a baby home with them...

What gallon size works best at what age/size would be good too me thinks.

How much to feed particular age at intervals and how many times they need to eat. Oh and what foods with info on all the kinds that people have tried/use. I can give info on what I have for mine. Though I need to get more variety I know when I get paid on the 6th.

A list of things to NEVER feed/give/expose a baby too and at what age they are most tolerant of said exposure.

When they should start coming up for air for the first time and if they need an air stone or something before that...

I don't know how helpful I'm being, these are just questions that I've been thinking about and wanted to share.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No that's certainly helpful Althea! Thank you!

Yes I'd like you to elaborate on your foods that you've fed in case that they aren't foods that I've fed, you know?

Any experiences are great too to everyone!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #7 
Viva

You can check out my album labeled Prize - My Baby Betta if you need some before and after photos :D She did well in a 5.5 gallon, filtered tank that was already established before I put her in. I actually fed her a lot, 4 - 5 times a day frozen blood worms and then crushed pellets after I finally got her to eat them. I used a pipette to feed her blood worms so that way she could see them easier and they wouldn't make a mess at the bottom of the tank. I did 50% water changes every day to every other day. She grew up so fast!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #8 
JamieL

I'd like to know about feeding timetables too, when to reduce number of feedings, etc. at what age is it ok to fast for a day?

I think everyone's dying to be able to tell the gender of their babies. I'm almost positive mine is male, but I swear he looks like he has an egg spot like you mentioned.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #9 
AltheaGlyndwr

I've only had my "girl" for about 4 or 5 days now. As I was entirely uncertain as to what exactly her babiness would need when I bought her I had the petstore worker help me find foods small enough for baby. He showed me one that was specifically for babies, some sort of flakes first bites, and Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets. After much deliberation I chose the micro pellets believing baby to be much older that most everyone there. I am pretty sure "she" is somewhere around 7 weeks.

Her tank has been a little lower in themp than everyone suggest simply because I only have the one extra heater and tank and I've never had a problem with them. I habe yet to find an adjustable heater anywhere in stores and dont have what it costs currently for an additional heater. Somewhere between 76 and 79. After I place my adult girl Mystique into the 10 gallon to cycle (we are totally going to be loving it me and her!) I will be housing the baby in the 2.5 which stays around 78 constantly.

I have been changinf baby's water every other day and she lives in a 1 gal temporarily. She has a japanese/chinese style temple thing as her main decor and some big round pebbles as substrate. These allow me to easily see her pooping (between every meal) and to then remove it from her home.

So far I have been feeding baby anywhere from 4 to 8 tiny pebbles everytime fed and about 3 times a day. I fed her 4 times the first day I brought her home. Usually when fed 4 I end up caving and giving her two more cause she just sits there on my desk and begs me... She can totally see me on my bed, I just know it. And she follows my finger :D I like to feed her until her belly bulges a bit. Seems to be working great.

Here pretty soon I will be checking my family's huge freezer outside for my frozen blood worms and daphnia and brine shrimp so as to offer all of my guys more variety in their diet. I don't know how much I will need to/get to feed her of those but I'll figure it out. If I can't find them (pretty sure my mother threw them away while moving cause she thought the were disgusting) I will buy at least the blood worms and daphnia again.

I'm pretty sure I've covered just about everything I know and have done. What I really want to say that is since she has come into my care, within 6 hours, she was even more active than she was in the cup (which was a lot) and she has brightened up and colored darker. Everyday more color shows. She's been through two water changes and she seems to be dealing with them alright (100% as it is a 1 gallon with plenty of acclimation). As far as I can tell she is thriving in my care and she is super aware and I would say happy. She keeps looking at the big 10 gallon that I'm putting Mystique into tonight and I'm pretty sure she knows its a bigger home, :)

Oh! Lid on the 1 gal~ That's important for obvious reasons!

Last edited by AltheaGlyndwr; 06-24-2013 at 10:53 PM.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #10 
Mar

^ +1

I recently posted this in my baby betta journal:

" This Wardley Small Fry is AMAZING.
While I was redecorating baby betta's tank, I put her in a small cup, and put 1 drop of it. Wow. She just instantly became interested, gobbling it up. I highly recommend it! $10 per tiny bottle, but worth it.

"

Hopefully, you can integrate it, because seriously that stuff is amazing. She LOVES it.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote