Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #1 
Canis

Ragged Fins

Overnight, Mr. Magic's fins have become torn and ragged looking. No black edging. Could this be tail biting, or does it look more like it got torn on something? I've never seen what tail biting looks like, so I can't be sure.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpD3u...ature=youtu.be

----------------------------------------------------

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 6-8 pellets once per day, fasting day every week or two

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once or twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? some kind of betta conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? End of fins are ragged
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for almost 2 years
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #2 
darkangel

looks like tail biting to me. Maybe add 1/2 tsp per gallon of aq. salt?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #3 
Canis

Will I need to remove my plants for the treatment?
Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #4 
Canis

Still wondering if I can dose with plants in there, but his fins seem to be doing well so far without treatment, nice clear edging growing back.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #5 
Rosencrantz32

I'm glad his fins are healing :)
I'm pretty sure I've read aquarium salt and plants don't get along... So I'd say, if you do end up having to treat him, use a qt tank or cup instead of putting the plants at risk.
Hopefully someone will come and let us know if that's right or not!
Rosencrantz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #6 
Canis

Thanks! I can use a container, but I'd have to do some math for the dosing I'd need. And I'm not really a math person when its not school time x) I'll have to figure it out in the morning, lol.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

You could do a salt bath instead I obtained this from the forum and I have used it succesfully:

How to give a salt bath
Salt Bath's are a very useful, holistic method to cure illness in sick fish. It works well on parasites, ulcers, fin rot and some other fungal and bacterial infections. There are times when stronger meds are needed such as anti fungals and antibiotics. Salt baths are also not good for all fish. It will burn the skin of scaleless fish, but our betta's have scales and are rather salt tolerant.

To administer a salt bath

Mix 1 teaspoon aquarium salt with 1 gallon of treated water (not tank water), make sure all of the salt is dissolved. You can then poor the gallon into smaller containers if you are treating multiple fish. The salt bath should be the same temperature as your tank, so your fish does not get shock form temperature difference as well as salt.

Scoop your fish into the salt bath and leave them in 5 minutes, unless the fish goes unconscious (rolls over on side and gill movement slows).

After the 5 minute period mix tank water into the bath to get 2/3 tank water, 1/3 bath. Leave them there for 10-15 minutes, ten return them to the tank.

You can do this safely 5 times a day for very sick fish. If you catch an illness early 1 treatment is often enough. Fin rot is a prime example here. at the first sign of rot, give the salt bath and add a small dose of bettafix to the tank as a booster and it is usually enough.

If disease has gone on a while the salt bath is not enough, but is always my starting point. It is far less stressful on fish than stronger medications. If a fish does not show improvement after 2 days worth of baths then it is time to look to stronger medication. If they look worse after the bath stronger meds are also needed. It is not a cure all but is a great starting and often ending point for treating your sick fish.

Do not give salt bath's to any scaleless fish such as catfish and loaches, as well as snails, snails really hate salt.

Last edited by neenjar; 06-25-2009 at 09:49 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #8 
Canis

Awesome, will do that!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can grab a 1 gallon container of any size and mix up the 1 gallon or even half gallon solution and then fill the cup from that solution. Then you can change out the water tomorrow with that same water so you don't have to guess each time. It will make your life easier I promise ^_^

And yes AQ salt will kill plants, Epsom is actually a natural fertilizer as well so that can be used with plants.

And yes, does look like biting to me as well unless he's a surprise CT XD haha but see how between the ray's it looks like little U shapes? That's the signature sign of biting since their mouths are also U shaped tearing would look just as that; tears and rips which look more straight and cut rather than the U shape of fin biting.

Many things could have caused him to do this, sometimes it's because they can see another fish but can't get at them, other times it's because their schedule was disrupted or maybe they didn't get the same amount of pellets that they normally get lol, Betta's can get pretty picky and unusual sometimes
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #10 
Canis

I think that when I remember back, I may have accidentally left his lights on all night. The stress from no sleep might have got him to start biting. I feel so bad now