Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #1 
asears86

My Betta's Fins All Of A Sudden Are Shredded?? Please Help !!

Hello - first I want to thank all of you who post on this forum and assist in these situations. I got my betta Norman about 2 months ago. He is in an aqueon 4 gallon tank. Normally, I do a weekly 40% water change using the gravel vac. On Saturday (2 days ago) I noticed the water had looked more cloudy than i had ever seen. *Use bottle spring water for him. I removed him from the tank, and did almost an entire water change. Turned the filter back on (which i have very low setting and added sponge inside tube to minimalize the flow) and back in he went. Everything was fine, he ate right away and last night he was his normal chipper self, all fins beautiful as normal. Tonight after work, I sat in front of his tank as I usually do @ night which he loves, and he was very excited (no signs in being sick).... Then i noticed the fin. The profile picture is what his fins have always looked like, the pics below are what I just noticed tonight.. Can someone please shed some light on what this could be? Do not want to wrongly diagnose or assume anything in which I am not educated on.. ***The Last Photo is of Healthy Fins Before Today***
Attached Images

Last edited by asears86; 06-24-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: adding picture of healthy fins
asears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would say first he's beautiful & 2nd there's a plant or decoration n the tank that he's swimming through that's most likely the culprit. To me it looks like what would happen if he dragged his fins across something rough. That's my thought somebody else may see it differently.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #3 
asears86

Hi - thank you for your thoughts. adding a photo of the tank overall. Do you think it is the tall green one? The purple is silk. So i dont think that is the culprit. Would you say most likely not fin rot? It is just crazy to me as the fin is shreadded so perfectly - if I had to imagine (which I could be wrong) I would picture damage from a plant tearing it unevenly... how is it so many small shreddings? Thank you again - I was really happy to rescue him from that tiny bowl @ the store and want him to live long and happy as i am sure we all feel the same. His personality is soooooo big and so sweet. This is one of my first tanks that I set up and it has been so rewarding.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #4 
darkangel

Looks like filter intake damage or the fin being dragged through something. I would maybe replace the plastic plants with silk ones and wrap a mesh around the filter intake.

I think you should make the temperature 80F and add 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt so the tail doesn't get infected. Maybe do some extra water changes the next week or so?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would guess the plant to right towards the back or the one in front of it. The one in the back has a lot of fine "leaves". If you have some pantyhose or something similar take that plant & drag the hose across it, if it snags then it'll do the same to your boys fins.

EDIT: FYI, spring water isn't necessarily a good thing as it can be missing some minerals & such that are needed from what I understand. Tap water is fine if you're using a good water conditioner such as Prime. If your tank is new, you may need to do more often water changes depending on testing the water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates.

Last edited by shellieca; 06-24-2013 at 09:40 PM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #6 
asears86

Okay - i will try that now!! My mother originally bought him and got one of those small fish bowls with that rock plant piece that came with it. Since I completely changed him to this home, figured I would keep one of the things she bought. But I will check them all now to be safe. Ahhh, beginners. hehe guess I dont know until I learn the hard way.

Again, just crazy how it shreds them so finely and the entire section instead of just one rip or tear. Thank you so much again.

Amanda

Last edited by asears86; 06-24-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #7 
asears86

darkangel - i will get some aquarium salt for him tomorrow after work asap. How often should I put this in the tank? Will do water changes a few times during week. What percentage change would you recommend for these frequent changes while it heals?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #8 
asears86

Sorry to be so annoying, but if I wrap a mesh around intake, do I wrap it all the way around including in the actual tank or just along the back of the vents?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #9 
ModFish

I found out the hard way that a high PH level will effect the fins as well.
ModFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #10 
Haleigh

I would agree that the filter intake caused the shredding. He looks exactly like my betta, Pontus Rex, did when his fins were caught in the filter. As for covering the intake, just cover the vent part. Definitely add that aquarium salt and he should be good as new. Just be careful not to over salt his water. I did that with Pontus :/
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin damage, fin rot, fin shredding, fin tearing