Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #11 
thisismydesign

I agree with what everyone else has said. My parents are kind of the same way. They don't yell or lecture me, but they make it clear that they don't like me having my two Bettas.

The people close to us don't have to understand why we put so much money into a fish or two, but they should accept that it's our choice and we have our reasons. If its not hurting them then they should zip it and let it be.

If you haven't already I would try to calmly explain to your friend why you put so much money into Earnest. If she still doesn't back off use the "well I don't understand why you but so much clothes but you don't see me bitching about it" card. If she can't respect your choice then don't talk to her for a few days. It will either piss her off and cause more drama (in which case you have to seriously consider whether or not being friends with her is the best thing) or she will see just how upset you are and how important this issue is to you.

Last edited by thisismydesign; 06-25-2013 at 05:38 AM.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #12 
ShyMyles

Jamnita, sorry that your friend has turned out to be less than compassionate. Even though this sounds odd, perhaps your friend wishes she was your hero instead of Ernest, who in her mind is "just" a fish. Has your friend cared for any pets herself? If not, then maybe gently explain to her that caring for and nurturing any animal is rewarding, emotionally fulfilling and eases stress. Animals and their caregivers form strong bonds and yes, this includes fish. Be patient with her and realize that she simply may not be able to comprehend the tenderness you feel for sweet Ernest. Debating with her will only create tension. Respect her limitations and keep on loving your fishie just the way you have been!
ShyMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #13 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnita321 View Post
I showed her a picture of him and she went on screaming throughout my whole computer class about how ugly he was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismydesign View Post
My parents are kind of the same way. They don't yell or lecture me, but they make it clear that they don't like me having my two Bettas.
These 2 comments and so many other similar comments made here almost daily show for a fact that WE ARE NOT THE CRAZY ONES!

Honestly, some parents and "friends" and relatives are just beyond ridiculous.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #14 
RowdyBetta

I find it confusing that when a person spends thousands of dollars on a dog it's okay. But spend a little on a bird or a fish and all of a sudden a person is irresponsible with money... :/ Wha-?
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #15 
thisismydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyBetta View Post
I find it confusing that when a person spends thousands of dollars on a dog it's okay. But spend a little on a bird or a fish and all of a sudden a person is irresponsible with money... :/ Wha-?
You have a point, though I understand why dogs and cats are ok to spend more money on, they live longer.

But, yeah, when it comes to maybe a few hundred dollars for a tank set up where you can put numerous $10 or less fish I don't see what the big deal is. You can have the tank and everything that goes with it for years, so it could be worth it, but only if you have something to put in there.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #16 
IndigoChild311

My mother thinks I'm overly obsessed with my bettas, she always says "all you talk about anymore are the fish!" Don't let it get you down, they're probably just jealous they don't have a betta.
IndigoChild311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, betta, friends, money