Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #1 
Dwarden3

Top Fin plant bulbs

My local petsmart carries these bulbs, I was wondering if I should get these for my betta? Also, I have a gravel substrate, will the bulbs do fine in it?

I think the plants included are aponogeton, water Lilly, and onion.

Here is the link to the product: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey there Dwarden! I actually don't suggest getting them, while they are cheaper you get maybe 1 out of 7 that actually grow. Many of those bulbs have been sitting there for a long time and are actually duds. Sooo, if you want to get plants either get them from those tubes or from an actual tank, you'll have much better luck with those!

Some easy plants would be Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Hornwort, Cabomda, Ludwigia and Rotala. They are all low light plants and you basically don't have to do anything to them except trim every now and then and pick of dead leaves when they come about. Java Fern and Anubias especially, you really don't do anything for them! Just careful though how you plant them, both of those plants have what is called a rhizome (the part that roots shoot out from and leaves come out on top), that must not be buried at any time or the plant will rot. But the roots can be buried, or you can simply tie them to a rock/driftwood/ornament and they will grow! Just like that
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #3 
Dwarden3

Yeah, I thought about the bulbs being duds. I have dealt with Anubis and Java Fern, but I want something that is grass-like or something that floats on the water. Also, the bulbs have a 30 day grow guarantee.

My Petsmart only carries various sword type plants and a java fern. Today is payday, and I said I would put some of it towards a few plants because I am trying to get a heavily planted tank. :D
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #4 
RowdyBetta

How bout water wisteria? :3 You can float it or plant it. I LOVE the stuff. XD I just got it several days ago and most of them have grown at least an inch.
This is coming from the person who killed her anacharis.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Woohoo! Killed my Anacharis too! haha, but yes water sprite is amazing for a floating plant. My mother plant is over 3 feet long now without any fertilizer or CO2 injections! Occasionally they had API LeafZone but that stuff doesn't do much I find, just switched to SeaChem's Flourish Comprehensive, much better!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #6 
RowdyBetta

Thanks for reminding me - I need to pick up SeaChem Flourish at the lps. X3
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #7 
Canis

Only 2 out of 4 of my aponogeton bulbs worked, but I love the look of the plants!
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote