Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #1 
ShadyLex

Moving erratically?

So I just went to check out my betta and saw him get jumpy and move erratically anytime he touches something. He bumps into a plant and starts dashing all over the place and then just floats to the surface to rest. This didn't happen yesterday and was actually resting in the Java Fern. He has stress lines and it's only day 3 of his arrival but I'm really worried that something is up.

Should I just put a dark towel over his tank to keep it dark? My room gets pretty illuminated even when the blinds are closed. I don't want to bother him a lot but I feel like I should sit in my room and monitor his actions.
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #2 
ShadyLex

Update:

He sits on the bottom of the tank now. He isn't tipping to either side and he still moves erratically, occasionally coming up for a breath. Still getting freaked out by being touched by a plant. I shined a flashlight over him and didn't see any sign of velvet. Is this just signs of stress?

I have a 10 gal tank, sand bottom, heated at 80F, filtered, ph is at 7.8, ammonia and nitrite check out to zero, nitrate check out between 0 and 5ppm. I got him 2 days ago and he liked to swim around the tank then, now he just sits on the bottom of the tank.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #3 
ShadyLex

bump
Old 06-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Hm.. Seems like a parasite. BUT, it might be internal if there aren't external visible issues. How's his poop?

Please fill out:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #5 
ShadyLex

I can't see his poop as the sand is probably the same color as it. Haven't seen any white stringy poop though, so I take that as a good sign.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Fed him 3 pellets this morning, he ate them all.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Did a 25% water change yesterday but I would usually do a 50% change.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5ppm
pH:7.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No, besides stress lines that have been on him since I bought him
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Laying at bottom of tank a lot more than usual. Whenever he touches something like a plant or the heater he darts around erratically
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet, just left the room dim and didn't bother him a whole lot
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, maybe a year old?

Last edited by ShadyLex; 06-28-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Hm... His care seems to be great, nothing wrong with his surroundings..

Did you acclimate him when you brought him home to his new tank? I would recommend an Epsom Salt treatment for 10 days. (1 teaspoon/gallon) Dissolve the salt first before you treat him and you should put him in a smaller tank. Around 1-2 gallons. Do 100% changes and keep on looking for his poop. The salt should relieve whatever is in his system.. Is he gasping at all?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #7 
ShadyLex

Acclimated him for an hour with 5 drops of new water every five minutes. No gasping and he doesn't seem to struggle getting up to the top of the water for a breath. I got a gallon hospital tank just for this. Can I just tape it to the inside of the tank? How do I dissolve the salt?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Along with checking for parasites, how does he act when he sees you? Does he react at all to you? The reason I'm asking is because if he doesn't react at all to you, perhaps he is blind or can't see really well. If he is swimming around and can't see the plants very well, or at all, he might get freaked out when they touch him thinking that they are something dangerous to him.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, sainthogan I never thought of that possibility. To dissolve the salt, you just mix it throughly. And yes, you can tape the tank. But make sure it's stable so the water doesn't touch the water in the 10G.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #10 
ShadyLex

When I first got him he followed my finger when I ran it along side the cup. Yesterday I stuck my finger in the tank and he followed it, even was bold enough to give my finger a nip. Now though he seems to back up when I go near the tank but doesn't get totally freaked out. Only when the plants and heater touch him.

Going to put him in the hospital tank right now.