Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of bettas. If you get a 10 g, you could also split it an get another..
lol we're such bad enablers XD I have my 10 split into 3, still gives them each 3.3 gallons to themselves.....I got a "rescue" today....I'm really really really deep into this betta bug thing...oops
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #12 
countyrd419

Welcome MichelleA to our community. I have Rusty my male betta in the 2.5 gallon tank by Aqueon which I bought at PetSmart. Betta fishes love places to hide when they want to rest so make sure you get a few decorations and rinse them in warm water before you place them in your tank. As others have stated before me, Omega One Betta pellets is the one a lot of members recommend for feeding your betta.
I bought my decorations and food at PetSmart.

Make sure you get a thermometer so that you watch the water temperature. Bettas need to be in water between 78 - 82 degrees. They are tropical fish just remember that. I have the Zoo-Med which some members may say not to get but as for me, it has worked and Rusty's water temperature has always remained between 79-82 degrees; of course it may help that I live in Florida where the warm weather tends to keep my home warm too.

You need to get AQ Salt (commonly referred to as aquarium salt) just in case your male betta fish get's ich or velvet which are two of the main diseases your pet can get. There are forums on betta fish diseases on this website and of course the internet but always check the forums and sticky note FIRST for anything betta fish related. I know I have said a lot but I have learned so much on how to care for Rusty on this site.

Here is Rusty showing off his redness underneath his tank light. You will see that the warmth it gives off really makes him flare and also warms the water too; just keep an eye on the thermometer.

Take care and give us your betta's name and show pictures. We love them.
Attached Images

countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #13 
Ilikebutterflies

Welcome to being a betta fish keeper! Feel free to spend as much as you want on your extra surprise pet but just know that you don't have to get crazy with it. Warm clean treated water and food at least every other day will make your betta happy. You may have a warm enough area you won't need a heater. My tank in my kitchen stays 77-80 without a heater. My house is 75.
The sticky strip heaters are worthless. You want one inside the tank.
If you are going to cycle your tank I would wait on extra fish or snails.
I have betta here and there around my house. Some live on the patio, some live outside in pots with aquatic flowers in them. I have decided that a heavily planted tank is going to be the least amount of work and it will keep the water the most stable so you may want to check that out.

If you keep kosher salt or sea salt on hand you don't need aquarium salt. Whatever salt you use, just make sure it is just salt. No anti-caking agents or iodine. FYI anything with the word "aquarium" on it is going to cost you about 3x as much as it should, lol.

Here is a big BIG tip. Always wash your hands (and whatever part of your arm may get wet in the fish tank) really well before you reach into your tank. I got this advice years ago from a fish store owner when my fish kept getting sick even though my tank was cycled and the water parameters were right.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #14 
MichelleA

Heres a few pictures, What do you guys think?

[ATTACH]Name:  014.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  016.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  76.6 KB[/ATTACH]
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #15 
OrangeAugust

He's very pretty! And yes, he is a crown tail.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

A very NICE CT indeed!! He's a bi-color with blue/red.

Also...is your sticky thermometer on the inside of the tank? lol if it is, you may want to take it out
Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #17 
MichelleA

Yes it is lol the package said it was submersible so I thought I was supposed to put it on the inside? How does it measure the temperature of the water if its on the outside?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Submersible!? I must check this out, but generally any kind of glue substance or adhesive is bad for the water and for the fish. But if it's already stuck on, then leave it till the next water change because you don't want icky nasty stuff floating in your water is all.

The water heats up the glass/acrylic and then it tells it from there. The only things that you can put into your aquarium are glass things (like a glass thermometer), live/silk/plastic plants, ceramic and clay things but most other plastic things like plastic toys and stuff of that nature cannot go into the tank because it will leech out bad things since they aren't made for inside aquarium use is all. Same goes for any adhesive that is not 100% silicone.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #19 
MichelleA

Thanks, it wasnt stuck to anything but i just stuck it to the outside
Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #20 
MichelleA

Can i use a used tank? My sister has informed me she has a five gallon with a whisper filter and a heater but it has been in her garage for a few years. She tested them and they work but Would this be safe? And if so, what should I clean it with?