Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh you mean, like you didn't peal the sticky off or anything? But that's good, it will still give a fairly decent reading on the outside, I still suggest getting a glass one which is like a dollar something at wal-mart for the inside since they are more accurate but I know you've already got a lot on your plate right now! So in due time!

I hope all is doing well with you and your little surprise, how is everything today?

EDIT: YES! You can totally use a used tank! I suggest getting a new filter cartridge for the filter but otherwise you can use white vinegar to rinse out the tank, then rinse out with very hot tap water and keep rinsing till you smell no more vinegar. Then let dry out in sun if you can. With the heater/filter (no media or carbon in it)/gravel/decorations you can put in a bucket of a Bleach solution do 1 parts Bleach to 19 parts water. I use regular Clorox bleach and it works just fine, you can soak for about an hour, then rinse everything under hot tap water, with gravel you can use a colander to rinse out. Then let soak for 2 hours in regular hot tap water, rinse again to get all bleach out and then soak again in hot tap water but this time use 4x the amount of conditioner. So if you conditioner calls for 1 drop per gallon, then use 4 or 5 drops per gallon even and then they should be aquarium safe!

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 06-26-2013 at 10:00 AM.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #22 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
If you keep kosher salt or sea salt on hand you don't need aquarium salt. Whatever salt you use, just make sure it is just salt. No anti-caking agents or iodine. FYI anything with the word "aquarium" on it is going to cost you about 3x as much as it should, lol.
Sea salt is NOT aquarium salt. Sea salt does have sodium chloride in it, but it's not just sodium chloride. Don't use it. Kosher salt IS aquarium salt. It is safe to use. You should also keep Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) on hand to help with internal problems. The only two salts you need are ES and AQ (or kosher).
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup NeptunesMom is correct, also Rock salt as long as it's 100% NaCl with no caking additives. So I just want to breifly explain the differences between AQ and Epsom salt.

AQ salt is for external injuries and of the like, such as Ich, Velvet, Fin Rot, and Body Slime infections.

Epsom is for internal stuff, like internal parasites, bloating, constipation and swim bladder disease/problems.

Those are the two basic "medications" that you need, fairly easy to use and easy to find, also they cause less stress than regular medicines do. So if clean water and warm water aren't cutting it, those are the next things that I go to and if still it's not healing it, then you can move to the real medications. But they are really good for natural remedies.

Also just a note, AQ salt should not be used as a preventative or therapy, do not use for over 14 days in one period, give a few days rest and use again if you must but most things will be cured before then. Epsom however can be used as therapy for a fish with SBD, but in a low concentration such as .25 teaspoons per gallon

Now you know more than you ever wanted to know haha
Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #24 
MichelleA

Yay im so excited thats 55 bucks back in my pocket! Im so grateful for the advice. Hes doing well today, working on another nice bubble nest. I changed his water yesterday and ruined the one he had made : /. Pretty active and feisty today So Im thinking all is well!
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #25 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleA View Post
Yay im so excited thats 55 bucks back in my pocket! Im so grateful for the advice. Hes doing well today, working on another nice bubble nest. I changed his water yesterday and ruined the one he had made : /. Pretty active and feisty today So Im thinking all is well!
Yay! Bubble nest. He wants to settle down and raise baby bettas in your tank.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #26 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha cute! Yeah no worries about wrecking them, although it can be sad, he will usually build another one! He's content to be in your tank so that's a good start! And yes, saving money FTW!!!! I'm always on the look out for used tanks
Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #27 
MichelleA

Name:  090.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  59.8 KB

What do you think? Ok? And how long do i have to wait before I can put him in it?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cute! I say more plants!!!! haha, no worries it looks great! I love plants in general, doesn't matter what kinds of plants, just love them all!

So do you know about cycling tanks? I forget if I or someone else explained it at all, but for now you can put him in. However you need to acclimate him each time you put new water in/take him out or putting him into an aquarium for the first time like this. Water Chemistry can vary greatly between tanks even if the water is from the same tap. For example my 33 gallon is at 7.6 pH and my 10 is at 6.5 which is what my tap is.

Anyway, so if you have a plastic cup you can scoop him from your little tank, keep about half of the cup full or less and then let it float in the 5 gallon. Let him sit for about 15 minutes to get used to the temp, I'm sure there will be a difference in temp so you can even make it safer and bump it up to 30 minutes. Then put in 2-3 tablespoons of new water into his cup each 10-15 minutes until the cup is full, then gently tip the cup and release him into the tank and he should be all set!!!

Careful with the filter, he might be blown around by it is all, was it baffled and did I give you links to be able to do that? Since Betta's love calm water's we normally baffle the filters, or block the flow so that they aren't tossed all over the place in their smaller thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #29 
MichelleA

I just did a quick google search on it, What would you recommend?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can cycle the tank with your boy in the tank, that's fine but you'll just need to keep a very close eye on the ammonia. I suggest getting the API liquid ammonia testing kit or just get the Master Kit, you can get it from online like Ebay a lot cheaper than 30 dollars at the store but it's just going to save you a bunch of trouble and it's just nice to have. But the ones you need are Ammonia and Nitrite for sure, but it doesn't hurt to have Nitrates and pH.

Anyway, so you test each day for ammonia, when you see it gets over .25ppm, then you do a 50% water change, wait an hour after you replace the water and test again. If it's still over .25ppm, do another change till it's below .25ppm.

So what you're doing is growing a colony of Beneficial Bacteria or BB, they are what change the ammonia to nitrite and the nitrite to nitrates which are then taken out with water changes. So they basically make it safe for your fish and you won't have to worry about watching the ammonia or doing 10 million water changes see why it's good?

So it's going to take about a month for the Fish-In Cycle, test each day, change water when needed and soon you'll see that in a 24 hour period both your ammonia and your nitrites have dropped to zero or remained at zero, your tank is cycled! Yay! your nitrates will most likely be very high so you'll want to do a big water change like 75% to get them down to a safe level, 20ppm and under is good for nitrates. And from there on out you can just do your once a week change at 25 or 50%, somewhere in that range and your boy will love you forever! haha

If nothing makes sense, I can try explaining a different way