Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #31 
MichelleA

Makes sense, What did i get myself into lol
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #32 
MichelleA

Where do the live plants come into play in making it a better environment, the two by the skull are real
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #33 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yay that's what I thought, are they swords? Hard to tell and I'm sleepy lol

Plants help filter out bad things, they help turn nitrite into nitrates and they actually eat nitrates so you don't have as much to take out in a water change. And then they just act as a natural buffer against the dangerous levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. So if you were get about 7-9 more plants in there you would be doing what's called a Silent Cycle.

Silent Cycle is just that, it's silent, it actually takes longer to cycle your tank but you'll never know because you'll never get readings of ammonia/nitrite/nitrates because the plants just soak it all up! So that's why I like plants so much, the low light plants are pretty easy to keep up, don't really need much except some source of light for at least 8 hours (mine are on 12 hours) and then you can use some liquid fertilizer every now and then (I dose twice a week with SeaChem's Flourish Comprehensive, 1 drop per gallon) and they'll be set!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #34 
MichelleA

Yea they are swords. So are you actually saying that if i get more plants i dont have to test it every day for a month and do a million water changes? I dont have anything to test the ammonia with only the ph. I want to be able to do as little as possible to maintain his well being. I need to do some research on this ammonia nitrite nitrates stuff. I kind of want like 5 more already: / lol
Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #35 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol! Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying! Stock up on those plants!

However you do need to know that plants can also be very demanding as well. You really just need to watch out for high light plants like any carpet plant; i.e. dwarf hairgrass, baby tears, glosso, stuff like that. But here's a list of low light plants that you can use!

Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Rotala, Ludwigia, Anacharis, Cabomda, Hornwort, Pennywort, Moneywort, Water Sprite (my fave), water wisteria, common Crypts and most floaters like duckweed, dwarf water lettuce, red root floaters, frog-bit, and salvinia. Those are the plants that need little to no maintinence.

Java Fern and Anubias cannot be planted fully in the substrate, roots can go in but rhizome needs to be sticking out. Rhizome is just the part that roots come out of on bottom and leaves stick out from top, just that little green part between. So you can bury the roots fine or you can tie them to driftwood/ornaments/objects and they'll grow right onto them!

I do suggest using a liquid fertilizer though, it will help keep your plants alive. When you see dying leaves make sure you pluck them out, those will make your ammonia go up, but of course with enough plants it won't matter but it's still nice to take them out to make your plants look good. And you'll still have to do weekly water changes but just 25% to pick up the poop will be good enough

As far as the swords go, they can be grown in low light but they are heavy root feeders where most other plants take from the water column and some take from both column and roots. So basically liquid fertilizer will not do much for them, they will also grow to be over a foot tall if they are regular Amazon Sword so just keep that in mind if you want to keep them I suggest getting root tabs, super easy. I break mine in half and put half under each sword and it slowly dissolves over a month or so and you just replace that every month-2 months and voila, you have a nice lookin sword!

And you want 5 more plants or 5 more Betta's? lol I suggest getting fast growing plants for now to help with the cycling, some of the fast growing low lights are:
Java Moss, Cabomda, Hornwort, Anacharis, Moneywort, water sprite and water wisteria. Those will soak up all your ammonia better than slow growers.

And if you want to know more, look up the Nitrogen Cycle, that's what we really mean when we say "Cycle" a tank. But basically you're just growing a colony of Beneficial Bacteria during the "cycle" of your tank
Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #36 
MichelleA

More Bettas I didnt realize there was so much to it an how many different kinds there are!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #37 
jadaBlu

You quickly become addicted! Watch out! Awhile back I started You know you're addicted to bettas when.... thread. Search it out in this section you will get a good laugh.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #38 
MichelleA

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  66.3 KB

Added More plants, so I now have 8 plants in this 10 gallon tank with my fish. I tested the water and it came back like this

Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Hardness 300 (Very Hard)
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 300 (Very High)
pH between 7.8 and 8.4
Ammonia .25ppm

This was done after I put the plants in and changed a very small amount of water, maybe 10 percent to allow me to put the plants in, I just put my fish in last night. Feedback please?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #39 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It looks great Michelle! Haha yes, Betta's are extremely addicting!

In the past 7 months I've accumulated 8 males (2 are babies) and 14 females soon to add about 3-4 more

And your tank should be set to go! I'd just monitor the ammonia for the next week or so just to make sure that you have enough plants I see it's at .25ppm right now but nothing a good 25% water change won't help So each time you see it going above .25ppm, do at 25% or more water change if you can. You can leave him in there when you do water changes that aren't 100% lol Did you have a siphon? can't remember sorry!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #40 
MichelleA

Nope, just scooping it out right now. Ive put about 170.00 into this one tiny fish already lol the siphon will have to wait until next thursday!