Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #101 
veganchick

ooo ThATS TERRIBLE!!! luckily I work with a no kill shelter!

Adopt a Pit Bull Terrier: Atlas: Petfinder This is Atlas!

Adopt a Yellow Labrador Retriever: Dustin: Petfinder -Dustin. Hes been there over a year!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #102 
dramaqueen
Banned

They both look like sweet dogs. I hope they find good homes soon. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #103 
Kim

Aww..they're adorable! I too, hope they find good homes soon.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #104 
veganchick

yep! me 2!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #105 
Livelifelaughlove

I want them! but i can't have a dog :( when i turn 16 and can drive, then i am going spend the summer volunteering at the animal shelter. Great place to get rid of my fear as well i hope
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #106 
veganchick

That would be great! Dogs are amazing healers! :D
Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #107 
dramaqueen
Banned

Several of the nursing homes in my area have dogs that live there.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #108 
amones369

Is a 1 gal tank really suitable for any fish? Guppies maybe?
amones369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #109 
Nataku

One of the members here (Dramaqueen I believe?) does keep several of her bettas housed in 1 gallon tanks, but she is a doting betta-mommy, and keeps up on the extra maintenance required to deal with a fish in such a small space.
Smaller space = more work and more risk, so it is not an ideal situation, and not something that is recomended to other members simply because of that. It can be done. It has been done. That doesn't mean it's good.
One gallon tanks/jars are also often used as 'grow out' tanks when raising bette fry for the males of the bunch, as once the reach a certain age they can no longer be housed with another male, sibling or not, and so must have their own tanks - and let's face it, when you have a 100+ betta that each need their own tank, a 2.5 gallon+ tank is not always a feasible option... I don't live in a mansion big enough to house that many tanks of that size, do you? This is only temporary though. Once the males are sold off they generally (hopefully) go to families which will provide them with a larger home.

Other uses for a 1 gallon? Erm, some people use them as quarantine or hospital tanks, which are used to isolate a new betta either when they are just brought home from a store (since let's face it, most store-bought betta are sick) or when a betta falls ill in a tank, especially if it has tank mates, and needs to be isolated. A 1 gallon tank with a bare bottom is much easier to observe a betta in, and to treat with medicine, but hospital and/or quarantine tanks are only temporary and the bettas are then moved to a larger tank once they are clear of infection.

Some peole I hear grow snails in them? I guess that's handy if you want snails... maybe the bettas will eat them when they are small.
1 gallon tanks are often used for various live cultures, like microworms and daphnia, if you want to maybe try supplying your bette with a bit of a fresh food supplement.

Some aquarists also use 1 gallon tanks for just plants. Plants can catch and carry diseaes too, and sometimes it is simpler to propogate certain species in small tanks by themselves until they are large enough and well enough established to be moved to another (larger) tank. Then again, some plant species are just entirely too large for a 1 gallon.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #110 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, I keep 3 of my bettas in 1 gallon containers and it does make for more frequent water changes. The water should be changed twice a week but I do mine once a week. I do think bettas are more suseptible to diseases when they live in smaller containers, although I had one betta that lived in a half gallon vase and was never sick until the day he died. The ammonia can build up pretty quickly in a smaller container.