Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

My betta that I just switched over to a 4 gallon tank came from a heated, filtered tank that he was kept in at the fish store I got him from.He had to stay in a half gallon for 5 days before I got him a 1 1/2 gallon critter keeper. He didn't act depressed at all because he went from a mansion to a studio apartment. lol He has blown bubbles ever since I got him. He seems happy in his heated tank now.I had a friend who kept hers ina vase that held about 8 oz of water. Now THAT is cruel.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #12 
Livelifelaughlove

Lol the vase that i have to put a betta in, though i haven't yet, is 3 1/2 gallons! more than my other two lol! but i do'nt know if i can bring myself to use it
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

A 3 1/2 gallon vase would be plenty big enough. Did you mean the vase is 3 1/2 gallons?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #14 
FordMan

yeah the whole betta bowl thing has always ticked me off you can always put betta's in a community tank as long as fin nippers like tiger barbs have enough other barbs to chase and the betta is the only one of it's kind in the tank (males only obviously) you can have as many females as you want... actually tiger barbs danios and rasbora gouramis all come from the same habitat must be pretty crazy in those south asian streams lol
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

The bubble wall mount said to clean it with soap and water! Good way to kill your fish.I knew someone who cleaned her bowls with soap and all her fish died. And I'd be afraid to put the bubble mount on the wall for fear that it would fall off.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #16 
fishyinpa

Oh ugh those wall bubble tank thingys make me cringe too! I can see now someone slamming a door or hitting the wall somehow and crash! Ya I agree anything under a gallon is just plain horrible. Just because they came from a lil cup at whatever store doesnt mean they can live in one forever. Ive seen some pet stores/fish stores who do have bettas in 10 gallon tanks,some all to themselves! Which is great. I dont understand that penn plax one either,divided into 4 and a lil tiny section for each betta? Might as well leave them in the cup!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

The one that I put in the 4 gallon was in a tank, probably about 50 gallons or so. There were other fish in there, I think but I don't remember what kind. They had one other betta in another large tank. My Petsmart used to keep them in those individual cubicle things on the wall above the tanks.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #18 
veganchick

ya, I don't like less than 1.5 gallons, but I would never keep mine in less than three. This is pretty terrible!
Dual Betta Hex with Gravel and Plant by Lee's - Aquariums - Fish - PetSmart
Tom Aqua Pal Aquarium Kit - Aquarium Kits - Aquariums - PetSmart This ones just encouraging stressing ur betta!

I can't BELIEVE they even have these goldfish kits! Sure, shove a 10 inch goldfish into one of these!
Marina Goldfish Starter Kit - Aquariums - Fish - PetSmart (this one would be ok for a betta)
Deluxe Plastic Goldfish Bowl - Bowls - Aquariums - PetSmart

Ok, this says goldfish, but you add a heater and its a betta dream home!
Marina 5.5 Gallon Goldfish Starter Kit - Aquariums - Fish - PetSmart
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #19 
fishkid

This is the saddest of all.
fishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, I've seen those I ponds before. I would agree that if you can, put your betta in the biggest container that you can afford/have room for. A bigger tank gives you lots of options for decorations and plants. And the fish has plenty of room to swim. :)