Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #21 
veganchick

ya, If you can afford the I pond, you can afford a tank! UGGG! What some people will do for money.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #22 
Kim

I'd really LOVE to beat the snot out of the people who invent/spread this abuse!! *goes into a daydream of how fun that would be....hehehe evil laugh*

Uh anyway, I have a 5 gallon minimum for my guys. I know that's not common, but this is the way I reason it. The people that live in the apartment can go outside right? The betta can not, so that would be like staying in your apartment for your entire life. And please realize that I am not trying to pick a fight here. I'm ok with the recommended 2.5 gallon minimum and am just happy that the people here actually take care of their bettas. This is just my honest opinion, so don't be offended anyone.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

No Kim, I'm not offended at all. I do keep mine in smaller containers and I know that they should be kept in the largest tank/container possible. Believe it or not, I HAVE upgraded since I first started out. When I got my first betta, I had him in a half gallon vase! :( That was before I really knew better. They are in gallon containers now, or 3 of them are. 1 is in the heated 4 gallon and 1 is in a 1 1/2 gallon critter keeper. My room DOES stay pretty warm. I'm going to try to upgrade as I go along. I appreciate your honesty and your ability to express your opinion without being rude. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #24 
Livelifelaughlove

No prob kim. Good though about the illistration i hadn't considered that.
I think they should be in the biggest tank that is possible. But i don't think 1 gallon+ should be considered torture, as long as properly cared for

oh and the vase, yes it is 3 1/2 gallons. I just don't know if i can put a fish in something meant to hold flowers... hmmm
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #25 
veganchick

I'm not, at all, kim. Good point! I always wait until I can afford atleast a 3 gallon. Emmnemms, I wouldn't unless you got a filter cuz they have such small surface area, but of course I wouldn't put any betta in any tank without a filter! lol
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas don't HAVE to have a filter but they are nice to have tohelp keep the water clean. I don't have a filter in my 4 gallon because I don't want to cycle.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #27 
Livelifelaughlove

I have a wide mouth bowls that have the bettas in right now, and then the vase is easy to handle. I just skim the top every few days and asdd some more water. but hopefully im gonna get a new tank and it won't matter
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't believe a 1 gallon should be considered torture, either, as long as the water is kept as clean as possible.I have mine in acrylic containers and they are easy to keep clean.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #29 
Livelifelaughlove

mine are in glass, but they are still easy to clean i was surprised. and i wash the plants and gravel in hot watertill they meet my satisfaction lol, and the entire time, the bettas are put in a smaller 1 gallon container, and then when i get done they get a few blood worms lol.
Surimi just doesn't like being caught, so i think i am going to try the cup ting i read the other day
Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have the same cleaning routine that you do. No, they definitely don't like being caught! lol