Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #41 
Fishcricker

Your partially right, they don't exactly know about what else is "out there" as far as living space. And yes, 1 gallon IS better than a Betta cup. But, it is supposed to be up to us as responsible Fish Keepers to provide them with what they need to live as full a life as WE can give them. Did you ever watch a betta, any fish for that matter, go from being in a confined space to a larger space? Did you see any difference in how they act? Think about it. IMO
Fishcricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #42 
dramaqueen
Banned

Fishcricker, I agree with you. I have a betta that went from a large heated, filtered tank at the fish store, that he shared with some other kind of fish, to a temporary half gallon, to a 1 and a half gallon critter keeper to a heated 4 gallon tank.I never saw him act any differently, going from one to the other. He blew bubbles in every container he was in. And you're right...we need to be responsible fish keepers and give thhem the best life that we can, no matter what size container they are in.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #43 
veganchick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
When I run into someone who has a betta, I ask all the usual forum questions: what size tank is he in? How often do you change the water? Does he have a heater or filter....
Me 2, and almost everone says its in a bowl. My librarian had hers in a cup for awhile with really bad finrot before I finally broke down and wents out and bought a heated, filtered 2.5 gallon tank for him. By then he was too sick Its ok tho, bcuz instead of torturing another betta in a cup, I tought her how to care for it before she bought a new one!!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #44 
daisycutter

Fish Bubble Wall Mount Fish Tank at Wrapables - Aquariums & Bowls
not to change the subject but ive had a great idea for one of these which involves attaching so it hangs in front of a window and growing small plants like mosses in a sort of micro planted tank...hmmm

on the subject in hand i would say minimum for any fish would be 5g anything smaller is going to be very unstable
daisycutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #45 
dramaqueen
Banned

Something like the bubble wall mount WOULD be pretty with some plants in it.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #46 
Cody

I have always believe that bettas would be fine is 2.5G. That was my personal minimum. But here's a story...

I had my female betta in my 30G community that was planted, and had a ton of hiding spots and places to interact with. When I sold the fish and later the tank, I kept only one fish and that was the betta. She is now in a 2.5G in my sister's room (I do all the cleaning), and she is definitely not as active as she used to be. I sort of feel bad, too. My personal minimum size is now 5G, but I will still recommend 2.5G.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #47 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would agree with the 2.5 minimum. I'm trying to upgrade mine as I go along.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #48 
veganchick

Same! I personally don't usually keep them in small than 3g, but I do have my eye on something like this
Aquarium Starter Kits: MiniBow 2.5 Starter Aquarium Kit
Old 02-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #49 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cool tank, veganchick! I hope you can get one. :)
Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #50 
veganchick

thanks! I want one REALLY bad!