Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #1 
sazzy

poor betta rant

my lfs had a male fighter in with juvinile parrot cichlids and juvinile oscars, the poor thing was terrified, i told the stupid girl that was the wrong tank and she shrugged her shoulders!

there was also crabs in with guppys all of them had a grabbed killed guppy in its claws

im so angry about this, why work in a fish shop if you know nothing!
sazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #2 
girlofgod

this is a sad fact for alot of fish stores, especially chain pet stores,(and walmarts) because they are in it for the money, not for the care of the pets, most of the time. so most often they will hire inexperienced people just to sell the product.

i know that not ALL pet stores are like this, and we even have some members on the site here who work in pet stores. it's your best bet to try to find a local fish supplier who's tanks are properly stocked, look clean, fish look healthy, etc and stick with them for purchases.

good luck!
bri
girlofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #3 
joeshmoe

you'll probly fined this in every shop, mine sells bettas in a tubaware box with blue died water. i would love to set up a rescue ting were u can fined good homes these lil guys
joeshmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:08 AM   #4 
sazzy

i felt so bad i was tempted to buy him, but he looked as though he wouldnt have lived long anyway?!
sazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:13 AM   #5 
love_my_fish

I couldn't believe that I recently saw small Pacus and Oscars being sold at a Wal-Mart. I have a friend that works at a Wal-Mart and she says that Wal-Mart is planning to stop selling fish altogether.
love_my_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #6 
pleco_cory_fan

In my other forum theres this person that homes oscars that have gorwn to big in her huge tank i really admire the work people do to try to save fish.
pleco_cory_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #7 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: poor betta rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzy
my lfs had a male fighter in with juvinile parrot cichlids and juvinile oscars, the poor thing was terrified, i told the stupid girl that was the wrong tank and she shrugged her shoulders!

there was also crabs in with guppys all of them had a grabbed killed guppy in its claws

im so angry about this, why work in a fish shop if you know nothing!
I can't believe this. That girl knows nothing obviously.
Pet shops just sell fish for cash and practically will not care for the welfare of the fish. A lot of people just think they are disposable which is quite a sad fact.
Even our laws do not include fish against animal cruelty.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #8 
MaiCarInMtl

I really am surprised at how people are with fish.

When I was looking to buy my betta, I went to a pet store and they were all in tiny little glass jars (with no lids!), hardly any water, in a dark corner, etc. The girl there was sticking her hand into the jar and touching the betta (who was probably terrified). **Note: she did not wash her hands before or after this and I saw her carrying around a rabbit just a few minutes later**

Depending on how confident I feel with my betta (I've only had him for just over a week now), I might try to rescue one here and there.
MaiCarInMtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #9 
smilin_joe_cool

I feel compelled to chime in as well. It seems that no matter which lfs my wife and I visit we see rows of little cups each with a single male betta in blue water. There are two however who at least make an honest effort at care; they use actual fish bowls. Although these are small they at least offer the betta room to move. I have to force myself not to look or I would want to rescue the lot.

I also get incensed whenever I see those small planters or quart sized betta tanks. The rationale usually seems to be that bettas originated in rice paddies so they are used to small, confined spaces. Surely I can't be the only person who has actually had to slog through rice paddies (while I was in the Army)? The average rice paddy is, in a word, huge. While rarely deeper than a foot or two they literally cover acres. These fish certainly developed to deal with low oxygen conditions like other anabantids however they certainly do Not come from small mud holes.

I realize we may be 'preaching to the choir' as it were but maybe, perhaps, someone will read this and decide to do the right thing. Treat their betta as a living fish rather than a desk ornament. (Nothing wrong with having an aquarium on one's desk mind you; just a turn of phrase.)
smilin_joe_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #10 
scottysgirl

I guess I can gloat here--our lfs has bettas kept in bowls (large ones), with gravel, and fake plants.
scottysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote