Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #11 
sazzy

i have had 2 bettas in the same tank, with a clear divide and they tried to get under the gap to rip each other to shreds :(
if you dont believe anyone here try it and good look, but itll be a waste of 2 of the most beautiful fish you can buy!!!
sazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #12 
mutt

If you dont want to invest in seperate aquariums, you can buy dividers to put in larger tanks. Then the filtration etc can be one unit, the fish can see each other which does encourage them to puff up their fins, but they won't harm each other. Putting them together will result in a sad situation. Betta's do not school in the wild; they live in little potholes of water in rice paddies, etc so 1. big tanks make them nervous and 2. they are not social so why force that upon them. At least the divider gives them their own territory that can't be invaded. IMO, the idea of a pet is to put it in a situation that closely mimics how it wants to live in the wild. Sure they can adapt on some aspects but think about how you would feel if the situation was turned. Sometimes its difficult for humans to imagine wanting to live in a small tank alone because we desire just the opposite - lots of free space, socialization etc.

Just my thoughts.

//
mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #13 
FDStation152

the bettas will almost certainly tear each other up if left in the same aquarium...even if they are siblings. I spent a good bit of time breeding them and the males have to be put in their own jars once they reach a certain age. And while I've successfully used the dividers to keep them you have to watch out that they dont try to jump the dividers to get to each other. I've seen it happen before.
FDStation152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #14 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway

You might want to avoid this as well. Why? I had 4 bettas with completely shredded fins after the suction cups peeled off causing it to fall to the bottom and the lid came off allowing all 4 to turn themselves into gladiators in the community tank. It was 5 years ago.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:18 AM   #15 
FDStation152

yep...they truly want to fight one another if at all possible. Like I said I've seen a betta jump a divider to get to another one nearby and the only reason I housed them with dividers was due to a lack of space to do much else. If they can see each other they'll try to fight and are quite good at jumping to get to each other.
FDStation152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #16 
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue

You might want to avoid this as well. Why? I had 4 bettas with completely shredded fins after the suction cups peeled off causing it to fall to the bottom and the lid came off allowing all 4 to turn themselves into gladiators in the community tank. It was 5 years ago.
Dont ever buy one of these, they are to small. Its actually a shame that it was even made. Imagine spending your life in a small bedroom, you wouldnt be happy. Bettas should be living in larger tanks than that.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote