Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #1 
PhantomoftheOpera

Angry Betta Fish Deserve Better...

So I was walking out of summer school (extra activities) and I noticed the science classes where holding betta fish containers. Yes, you read me, betta fish containers.
Now, imagine probably about 150 kids in 100 degree heat trying to get to places all at once. This is what those betta fish were dealing with! And the people holding the containers where worse! Some were yelling and running! And I went to go grab my bike, and there was a boy there with a fish asking me to hold his so he could get on the bike and drive home with it. I was super close to just being like "maybe you should get a ride and bring it home tomorrow" but he grabbed the fish from my hand and drove away.
Now all of these betta fish are most likely going to go home, be put on a shelf, and forgotten until they're dead. Which will probably be soon since they aren't going to get the proper care.
When people do this it ticks me off. Betta fish should not be treated like this. They may not need a lot to survive, but we all know that they live better in better conditions!
I've got to go and clean Phantom's gravel (my little brother put to much food in), so bye.
PhantomoftheOpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Are these fish part of an activity within the school? Or did kids just bring their own fish from home? If it is within the school, I would email the science teacher and CC your principal with your concerns about the fish.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #3 
PhantomoftheOpera

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Are these fish part of an activity within the school? Or did kids just bring their own fish from home? If it is within the school, I would email the science teacher and CC your principal with your concerns about the fish.
Well, I don't know the exact plan (not in the science class) but MANY people had betta fish, and a lot of them didn't really seem like the type of people to voluntarily get a fish (if you know what I mean...).
I don't really know what emailing them would help though... I mean, the damage is done. They took the betta home already, and my school district sucks so I don't even know what response they'll give me if I bring it up.
PhantomoftheOpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #4 
Sweetea

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
+1. They shouldn't be handing out a live animal as a gift. PhantomoftheOpera, you could inform them so they find an alternative for future events. You can be the bettas' advocate. ^^ Fish seem to be seen as...lesser because they aren't big and cuddly, like a dog or a cat. My college did something similar to what your school did. They had a large cooler of feeder goldfish, they came in pairs in the smallest size critter keepers (they require a 29gal to start off with!). Majority of them didn't make it past the first couple of days (water changes). Whichever ones were left were gone over the Thanksgiving holiday due to neglect. But someone wrote a good article about all of this in the school paper, and the college didn't hand out fish this year.
Sweetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #5 
ismintis

I'm sorry and I know how frustrating people like that can be. I think NeptunesMom and Sweatea had good advice, but to reiterate what was previously said; I would try to contact the science teacher or even just the school in general. Most teachers who deal in science will probably understand how important an organisms life is, so I would imagine they would be pretty understanding to say the least.

One of my pet peeves is when someone gets an animal and automatically thinks they know what is the best thing for them. I have a friend who has done some terrible things to her animals and currently has five, I mean five, feeder goldfish in a one gallon tank. And she barely cleans it at all. My one friend and I go over to her house just to clean the poor tank because we actually care about them. Her response to this was that when she gets bored of them she will cut their heads off. >:( Needless to say I'm drifting away from that friendship...
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomoftheOpera View Post
Well, I don't know the exact plan (not in the science class) but MANY people had betta fish, and a lot of them didn't really seem like the type of people to voluntarily get a fish (if you know what I mean...).
I don't really know what emailing them would help though... I mean, the damage is done. They took the betta home already, and my school district sucks so I don't even know what response they'll give me if I bring it up.
The damage may be done this year, but at least you may be able to prevent it in the future. Make them accountable for their actions. I would ask a parent to help you prepare a letter to the science teacher that 1) tells what you witnessed 2) indicate how it is not in the best interest of the fish (include information about proper care and source it) 3) how it teaches children inappropriate care standards for living things 4) how that reflects poorly on the school and the teacher. As I mentioned if you CC it to the principal the science teacher will know you are serious about this, and it will inform the principal of things going on they may not know about (they probably know about the fish, but maybe not the care). I would title the subject something catchy to get both of them to open it, something like "I witnessed disturbing treatment of animals by science students".

ETA: You could also post a draft here and people could comment on it.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish care, cruelty