Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #1 
iamnita321

Unhappy Rant: friend who hates my Betta

I have a friend that always tells me that i waste to much money on on my betta(ernest). she has habits of spending all her money on expensive clothes and i don't judge her on her purchases but i love my betta and he's helped me threw so many problems hes brought a stress free element to my life took me out of a depressive state and has helped keep me focussed so what if i spend a few bucks on him. also i showed her a picture of him and she went on screaming threwout my whole computer class about how ugly he was. now I'm going to be honest i know Ernest isn't the most beautiful betta but he is still mine and i love him.i understand that she may not understand but i hope someone on this forum will
iamnita321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #2 
Allison

Aww sweety you don't have to justify your pet to her. If she wants to be a c-word that isn't your fault. Sounds like a really self involved girl to me. Tell her its frankly none of her business what you spend your money on and if she can't take the hint stay away from her a few days and see if she realizes how bitchy she's being.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #3 
Rosewynn

It sounds like if you want to stay friends with her this topic should just be off limits or feelings will continue to be hurt.

Have you shared with her how much he has helped you in your personal life? If you have and she still continued to put you down if it were me I would seriously re-visit the idea of why you're still friends with her.

Just my .02

I can't stand rats. Their tails and eyes give me the heebeegeebees. My friend has 2 of them. I would never insult her though and say spending time and money on them is useless etc. To each their own!
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #4 
Saphira101

I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I think that Earnest is a very unique fish. If your friend continues to speak of your betta and your decisions this way, then perhaps it's time that you took a break from her and found some new friends who can treat you more respectfully.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

One of my favorite quotes:

"If I valued your opinion I would have asked for it."
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #6 
Dwarden3

My parents think I have made my siblings and myself betta-crazed, but I don't care. I love fish-keeping!
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #7 
iamnita321

Smile

thanks guys this is very useful advice and i now understand that i don't have to justify my love for fish keeping to anyone
iamnita321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

IMO, none of us needs to justify anything to anyone unless we've done something hurtful; then, we apologize.

I used the "If I valued" line on my SIL when she criticized me for the umpteenth time for having dogs (plural). She never did it again.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #9 
majesticstorm

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. If she was a true friend, she would accept you and your love for bettas, even though she may not like them. It's your money, not hers. If you think that it's worth it, then it is. Personally, I don't buy a lot of clothes, but would I tell my friend who loves shopping that she's wasting her money? No. If buying clothes makes makes her happy, then I say go for it. I have no right to tell her how to spend her money or if it's worth it or not. If your friend doesn't understand that and continues to be a *bleep*, then as the people above me has said, maybe you should consider whether or not she's someone who you want to be friends with.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

+1

Tags
advice, betta, friends, money