Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #1 
snowflake311

IS bigger better for breeder tanks?

I will be breeding bettas for the first time. I bred different types of Cichlids and larger tanks were always better for breeding Cichlids because they do have a rough love courtship.

So I have a 36Gal bow front but it is kind of tall. I could set it up for a breeding tank it is empty. I also have a 10Gal tank that I could use too.

I was going to just use the 10Gal for breeding and then the 36Gal would be a grow out. OR do I just use the 36Gal for everything breed them in that and leave the fry in there to grow.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Most people prefer the standard 10G for the breeding courtship and hatch out because it's not too big and not too small. In a really big tank, the male might have a hard time finding the female, especially if the female has so many hiding spots. Just my opinion. :D
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #3 
Myates

Larger tank = bigger space for the pair to be separated which can cause courtship issues.

Larger tank = having to feed more of the food to the little fry as it will be spread out more and the fry don't really swim for the first week or two, but rather dart tiny distances and unless you overfeed can cause some to not get as much food. So a waste of food which would be more spoiling in the water, and a risk of some fry not eating enough.. remember the micro cultures are very very.. micro :)
A smaller tank means less space for the food to spread out.

Large tank = much more difficult to clean when the fry are tiny. You will barely be able to see them and having to siphon the bottom of a large tank with an airline hose can be tiresome when you have to be very very careful not to suck up the fry. A smaller tank means smaller area to clean up.

BUT the benefits of a larger tank means it takes a bit longer for the water to go bad, and you don't have to transfer the fry later on.

If you decide to go the larger tank route, I would look into a smaller rubbermaid/serilite tub that can fit into the tank itself.. either just fill up the tub itself and place the heater, plants, etc in there and breed in there and then later on when the fry are a bit bigger fill up the tank and gently introduce them (add water to the tub from the tank slowly to allow acclimation).. the small tub will help with the feeding issue and breeding.
Or you can create a divider (super glue a couple plastic crafting meshes together and create one like you would a smaller tank) and then breed in a small portion of the tank and once you remove the father, you can remove the divider for the fry.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote