Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #31 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I use nutrafin aqua plus currently, and it does neutralize chlorine and chloramine, cadmium, lead, copper, ect. Nothing on the label about oil, antifreeze, ect.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #32 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Double or even triple the dose.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #33 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Well, whatever be the case, I'm going to have to manhandle the jug home somehow. Can't trust this water to shower in myself, how can I trust my precious betta to breathe and sleep in it?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #34 
Sakura8

Hi Noodle. I read up on this thread and it sounds like you're having some major water problems because of the floods. I understand that getting a source of spring water is going to be really difficult so here are three options that might help. One is to boil the water (you can store it in a bucket). This should kill most any pathogen in it. However, boiling the amount of water needed for a water change in a 5gal tank could be tricky unless you have like a huge soup pot.

A second option is to use a water filter like Brita or PUR. It may improve the water quality enough that Tina feels back to her old self.

Finally, you can keep her in the ISO tank, which might make using spring water a little more manageable. This might work too if you find you need to boil the water but don't have the time or space to boil several gallons worth.

I wouldn't go for the ParaGuard just yet, though it is a good med to have on hand. If things do go south, you can use the API Ick Cure for parasites.

EDIT: I also second Matt's suggestion about using carbon filtration. That would probably help a great deal to get rid of some pollutants in the water on top of trying one of the other methods. Also, you don't necessarily have to use all spring water. A half and half mix might be enough. This would stretch the spring water a little further.

Last edited by Sakura8; 06-25-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #35 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You could use a wagon/sled if you have one, or get someone to help out (or better yet give you a ride).
Old 06-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #36 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

I have doubled the dose, actually. I began to suspect chloromine yesterday could wind up in the water so I doubled it today when I filled my aging bucket.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #37 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

@Sakura: Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to get some water.

@MattsBettas: We don't have a sled, or a wagon.... but we do have an old skateboard. We can try to rig it up to be pulled.

Before I go get water ASAP, is "spring water" better? Or is Reverse Osmosis water through the big 4 gallon jugs a better choice?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #38 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

They are similar and either would help. Spring water has more "impurities" but is still 100% fine.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #39 
Sakura8

I think spring water and RO water is about the same. Just don't get distilled or pure water.

Fingers are crossed for Tiny Tina.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #40 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Used an old belt tied to a skateboard. Tied the water bottle down with shoe lace.

Working on the water change for her iso tank now. Planning on using conditioner, stresscoat, epsom salts, and IAL. Anyone have experience with decaf green tea bags? I heard that can help calm them down.